Electric Bass Wolftones?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Johnny L, May 3, 2004.

1. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I'm playing both the electric bass and doublebass for a local musical production this month, and it's been a while since I brought out the electric bass for anything.

It's not uncommon to have a wolftone on a doublebass, normally on A (mine's on Bb), where a wobbly sound happens as if a wah pedal being moved back and forth real fast. It's really noticeable when the note is sustained with the bow.

Well, in rehearsal yesterday I noticed that when I played an F# on my electric bass I would get a "meow" sound out of the PA speakers when I played an F#. I could EQ it out if I sacrificed a little low end. I purchased this particular electric bass about 4 years ago because the natural harmonics spoke very clearly on it, but I don't know if this detail offers any clues.

This was the first time I noticed such a thing, and it made me wonder if electric basses (or a combination of electric bass, amp and speaker) could possess something resembling a wolftone. Any insights?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I never heard of wolftones on a slab.
    It's more likely the room (resonance frequency) and/or PA.
  3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I never have either...just curious. It may be something as simple as the string action being too low or something. I'll keep experimenting with solutions.