Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electric Bass Wolftones?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Johnny L, May 3, 2004.

1. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I'm playing both the electric bass and doublebass for a local musical production this month, and it's been a while since I brought out the electric bass for anything.

It's not uncommon to have a wolftone on a doublebass, normally on A (mine's on Bb), where a wobbly sound happens as if a wah pedal being moved back and forth real fast. It's really noticeable when the note is sustained with the bow.

Well, in rehearsal yesterday I noticed that when I played an F# on my electric bass I would get a "meow" sound out of the PA speakers when I played an F#. I could EQ it out if I sacrificed a little low end. I purchased this particular electric bass about 4 years ago because the natural harmonics spoke very clearly on it, but I don't know if this detail offers any clues.

This was the first time I noticed such a thing, and it made me wonder if electric basses (or a combination of electric bass, amp and speaker) could possess something resembling a wolftone. Any insights?

Thanks,
    Johnny

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I never heard of wolftones on a slab.
    It's more likely the room (resonance frequency) and/or PA.

3. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    I never have either...just curious. It may be something as simple as the string action being too low or something. I'll keep experimenting with solutions.

THX