Electric bassist convert here...

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Scuzzy666, Feb 24, 2001.

1. Get a teacher, practice hard, and come back when you have a valid question.
  2. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Get a teacher (you'll hear this one a lot). Practice well. Come back any time ya feel like it even with a dumb question.
  3. Don't be in too big a hurry.
    Change your definition of "success":
    Success = Progress toward a worthy goal.
    A total novice can be successful every day, if he is progressing.
    The day you reach a goal, you stop being successful; it's time to set a new worthy goal.

Welcome. Find a teacher. Good luck.
  4. Tim Ludlam

Tim Ludlam

Dec 19, 1999
    Carmel, IN
    Hey Mr. Scuzzy666 (frankly, I am frightened by your name alone):

Let me take this "find a teacher" thing just a bit further. You might be an experienced-bass guitarist, but playing the bass, as in contrabasso, is a whole different challenge. It is very different technically, physically and certainly requires a greater sense of intonation (none of those little metal strips on the neck to remind you of where you are at).

Anyway, the guys that offerred you advice previously are all qualified players, I on the other hand am relatively new to the instrument. I can tell you that a good teacher (classically trained) can get you up to speed pretty quick on the technical and physical aspects of playing. The rest is your responsibility.

Check with your local symphony to find out if any of those guys provide lessons. That would be your best place to start.

Good Luck.
  5. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    get a teacher..the last thing you want to do is form bad habits. they will make you want to stray from the instruiment... so learn it right.
  6. So far the best advice I've seen in this is to get a teacher and forget any notion about your bass guitar knowledge transferring to the doublebass. I'll add my own two cents: get a teacher and forget about any knowledge of the bass guitar being transferable.