Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electric Blues albums

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by the-lizard-king, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Hi guys,
    Im looking for suggestions for any good electric blues artists and albums. I dont mean Rolling Stones, Led Zep sorts of blues, but more Chicago swing blues. Specifically the Blues Brothers kind of style (Sweet Home Chicago, Someone To Love, She Caught The Katy, Gimme Some Lovin etc.) Any other blues fans here?
    Jim

2. B.B. King?
    Albert King?
    Muddy Waters?
    John Lee Hooker?
    Stevie Ray Vaughan?
    Buddy Guy?

3. Donny Hathaway Live
    The butterfield blues band
    John Mayall and the bluesbreakers
    Kenny Wayne Shepard
    Albert King w/ Stevie Ray Vaughn

just a few suggestions
    check out my web site for our stuff
    Victory in heaven blues band

4. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Tommy Castro from the bay area has some pretty energetic stuff... Susan Tedeschi, Linda Hornbuckle, Ellen White, (Linda and Ellen are local Portland folks...)

-robert

5. Roy Buchanan
    Little Walter
    Donny Hathaway
    Paul Butterfield
    Albert Collins
    James Cotton
    Albert King
    B.B. King

6. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    When people ask me this, I always point them to the Alligator Records compilations...there are a bunch of them and they usually contain a pretty wide variety of quality REAL blues by both the blues legends and up-n-coming artists.

7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    This isn't a jump-blues thing but I've been listening to Junior Well's "Hoodoo Man Blues" a lot lately, as well as Muddy's "Hard Again". If you want swingy stuff, find some old Roomful Of Blues.

8. The only ones I can add are -

Johnny Winter
    Elvin Bishop

Between all these suggestions you should have a hell of a discography to choose from.

allan

9. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Eric Sardinas
    Sue Foley
    Otis Grand
    Susan Tedeschi
    Omar and the Howlers
    Paul Lamb and the Kingsnakes
    Dr Feelgood
    The Hoax
    And loads more that escape me at the moment ...
    :D

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Not really Chicago Blues-
    Super Session with Mike Bloomfield, Steven Stills, & Al Kooper + Harvey Brooks on bass...
    Also, The Electric Flag's debut, A Long Time Coming...with Bloomfield, Brooks, Buddy Miles, etc.
    Brooks is pretty impressive on both; Blues in an R&B-ish vibe.

Too, a guy named Hendrix put out a pretty decent Blues album...

AND-
    If you're a Kenny Wayne Sheppard fan, check out Derek Trucks...he's about the same age as KWS, though, IMO, Trucks is waaaaayyyy ahead developement-wise.

11. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you want something wierd and cool, check out Robert Randolph's "The Word" on Rope-a-Dope. It's Blues/Gospel pedal steel. Pretty neat stuff

For moret traditional Chicago-style electric blues, I'd recommend Lucky Peterson's records on Verve. And Taj Mahal.

Check out "North Mississippi Allstars" for some great jam-band blues rock. The drummer and the slide-guitarist in this band are above par.

12. Thats for sure! Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, looks like Im going to be busy! Not to mention broke!
    Jimk, I agree, Hendrix's 'Blues' is a fantastic album.

On a side note, I just Picked up John Lee Hooker's 'The Healer', what a great album! I also picked up 'John Lee Hooker and Friends' which is awesome too, but I think I prefer his original arrangements for those songs.
    Jim

13. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Check out Junior Wells and Howling Wolf.

14. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    [​IMG]

John Mayall's 'Bluesbreakers With Eric Clapton' is an essential album, for all Clapton or blues fans. Good example of the UK blues/R&B sound in the late '60s. This album caused the "Clapton is God" graffiti to appear everywhere.

15. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I forget about my man, Robben Ford(Dave B. reminded me over @the Headhunters' thread)...

"Electric Blues" can be had on Talk To Your Daughter(Vinnie Colaiuta is on cans, Russell Ferrante on keys, Roscoe Beck on bass).
    Also, The Robben Ford's Blue Line material-
    The Blue Line
    Handful Of Blues
    ...Roscoe Beck is on bass & Tommy Brechtlein on drums.

16. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'm a big Robben Ford fan, too. For a look at this trio in action, try Roscoe Beck's 90-minute video published by REH. It is called "Blues Foundations" and is chock full of ideas for blues basslines and even has some blues history.

It comes with a booklet that has some of the basslines in standard noation (and tab, for the tab fans.) Though I have several bass instruction videos, I consider this one to be one of the very best.

17. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    someone mentioned howlin wolf...check out the howlin wolf sessions. the wolf teaches clapton how to play little red rooster.

robben ford has more of a contemporary sound but can play some great blues (and jazz)...saw him at a jazz club a few years ago and he took my head off with....oh yeah, this is BASStalk...doht!

18. I second the Alligator anthologies and Taj Mahal

A few others would be Rusty Zinn, Debbie Davies, Steve Pierson, Mitch Kashmar, Big Jack Johnson, Chris Cain, Michael John

I'll think of more later

19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I have a Popa chubby album that I like very much for some strange reason.

Maybe cause there's a song call "Sweet Goddess Of Love And Beer" on it... :D

20. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    Junior Kimbrough. Check out his "Things Haven't Always Been The Same" release. I think that's the title of it. If not it's real close.