1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Electric Cello and Bass through Rumble 30?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BumbleB, Mar 22, 2013.

1. BumbleB

BumbleB

Mar 19, 2013
    aurora, colorado
    Would an electric cello and a bass be able to run on a Fender Rumble 30 simultaneously?

We are looking into purchasing an electric cello and trying to find out if that will need it's own amp.

Thanks for the help!

2. mormoyboy

mormoyboy

Oct 9, 2012
    NWOhio
    you will have to share more details.
    what cello with what preamp
    what musical setting
    how do you plan on sending the signals to the amp?

generally speaking - without any of the above info i'd suggest that you would benefit from individual amps.

3. At the same time? Not without a mixer before the amp, even then may not sound great. One at a time other than maybe tweaks to the eq should be fine (low sound levels). The Cello will sound louder than the bass.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Agreed. There is no reason you couldn't use that amp as a practice amp for bass OR electric cello, but I would NOT recommend both at the same time. It will sound crappy. If you decide to try it anyway, buy a Boss LS-2 (or similar ACTIVE mini mixer) to combine the signals before feeding them into the amp.

5. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    The specs say that it has 2 1/4" inputs with the second being at -6DB. If that doesn't help you, you could use a device to go from 1/4" to RCA preferably with some volume control. This will allow the bass to use all of the settings on the amplifier while the cello just uses the RCA with the amp not controlling it at all. I do this with my phone into my Rumble 350. I plug it into the RCA aux input and the phone controls the volume.

6. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    *oh I don't know if both 1/4" can be used at the same time though...

7. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    http://support.fender.com/manuals/bass_amplifiers/Rumble_15_30_75_OwnersManual_rev-A.pdf

NOTE: Both INPUT 1 and 2 can be used simultaneously for
    two instruments. In this situation, each input will have a
    lower input sensitivity (-6dB).

AUX IN — Plug your CD player or mp3 player in here.
    The amp controls do not affect this input. Adjust the
    volume or tone of the aux signal at its source.

Also the inputs have different impedances: 1MΩ (Input 1) / 136kΩ (Input 2) / 10kΩ (Aux In)

8. BumbleB

BumbleB

Mar 19, 2013
    aurora, colorado
    Thanks for sharing the wisdom!
    I will pass the info on to my family.