1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electric Cello project Ray Brown tuned in 4ths

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by agfrag, Aug 4, 2007.

1. agfrag

agfrag

Feb 24, 2006
    Novi, Mi
    I understand that Ray Brown did an LP where he used a cello and had it tuned in fourths like a bass. I am constructing an electric cello and would like to not have to learn fifths tuning (after 35 years of fourths playing!), so I wonder if anyone knows what the heck strings Ray used on this recording to allow him to tune to fourths???

2. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    You should post this question in the DB Strings forum. I bet you'll get an answer there.

3. agfrag

agfrag

Feb 24, 2006
    Novi, Mi
    Thanks low.eadg and Lokire. I will post on db. And I had thought of using piccolo strings on the cello, but to me, piccolo bass strings are kind of in the same range of guitar strings, one octave higher than the bass. I was sort of thinking (hoping?) that I might find a string set that would allow me to start at the same "C" a cello does, C2, vs the E3 that both the guitar and piccolo bass start at. I was even thinking of using the upper 4 strings of a short scale 6 string bass set, A2,D3,G3,C4. We'll see!

4. i have heard of very very young DB players learning on cellos strung with bass guitar strings because the distance after the bridge makes up for less scale length.
    but, i don't know what they sound like.