Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electric current running from my gibson gss100 to me

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stanley Design, Mar 19, 2004.

1. I just bought a head from my local pawn shop, it's a gibson gss100 and when I first plugged it in a noticed it had a crackly white noise to it. I also noticed it had a two prong male end of the plug and not a three hole prong. I was testing it for a bit, and noticed that I felt small jolts of electricity into my right hand ESPECIALLY around the bridge. I remembered reading something simular a year or so ago around here, and I searched for it, but all the posts were different then this, this is a basically continuous flowing current. I'm going to reset the fuse now, but I don't think it'll work, if I don't post saying it worked then it didn't, but I'de like some advice.

2. Todd, be careful with that amp, it is possible to recieve a fatal shock from a badly grounded amp. If you can't afford to have a tech look at it, go to http://www.guitarnuts.com/ and check out some of the articles there.

Good luck and stay alive, John

3. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Rumblejohn is right. Be VERY careful with that thing - no head is worth losing your life for!!

A two-prong AC plug sounds very suspicious.... I'd suggest you take a closer look at it, as I have my doubts it originally came that way. Any chance that a previous owner may have replaced the 3-prong plug (for whatever reason), and decided (likely through ignorance) to slap on one of those Home Depot 2-prong replacements?

May just be a situation where you have to re-do someone's shoddy repair work on the line cord.

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Its more than likely a vintage head that needs gounding. Get the 2 prong replaced with a 3 prong. That would be more desirable then risking death ;)

5. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've got one and it has a old style two-prong plug.

6. Arranger

Arranger

Mar 9, 2003
    Pennsylvania
    ...even if only to keep the two-prong oriented properly.

7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    If a power surge (lightning?) comes down the line you're plugged into, that ground connection becomes your best friend. In the absence of a connection to ground, the juice may decide that YOU are the ground.

If this head is staying in one place, it might be one thing - but if it were mine, and I was playing out with it in numerous places, plugging it into house wiring that could be faulty - I'd *absolutely* swap out the line cord for a grounded one.

But maybe that's just me; I'm one of those who carries a Radio Shack circuit tester in my bass case, and checks the house wiring first thing......

8. Good idea BBD, Iv'e been using a circuit tester for years. Don't know if it has saved my life or not, but sure has saved me from some nasty shocks. Your equipment will has less noise and interference with proper grounding in addition to being much safer.

John