Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electric current through the Bridge?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jake15, Jul 22, 2001.

1. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I have an active bass and every time I touch the bridge
    or the strings lightly, I feel electric current.Also,their is an annoying hissing sound and when I touch the Humbucker pickup it gets louder.Any help would be nice.

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    It sounds like you have a grounding problem with your electrical outlet or your amp. This can be VERY dangerous! Please get it fixed ASAP, you can electrocute yourself!

3. oo0o00o0oo

oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    Chicago
    Agreed, get it checked out. I've gotten zapped by my rig before and it HURT. You should probably get your amp checked out also.

4. Most probably there's nothing wrong with your bass, it's probably your elec outlet. Chek 'em!!

My neighbour was killed because he was playing a guitar, and singing at the same time. 220 volts of electricity was going through his body. He died instantly. I am DEAD serious dude!

Meanwhile STAY AWAY from the microphone until you get things fixed!

5. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    it´s the outlet...

i have a Fender MIM (Passive) and one day an electrician was working downstairs, i was practicing... then i noticed the electricity on the strings (they sting!)

i don´t know but i played like 5 more minutes like that, then i got downstairs and saw the electrician.. (i didn´t know he was working)...

so if someone is working on your electric cables... don´t play! :)

6. I had a simillar problem with my bass when practising in my mates garage. I used this extension lead to my amp that had been sitting in there for about 5 years apparently. so I pluged it in and instintly I felt an electric current in my strings it started getting stronger and stronger untill it was unbearable I couldn't turn it off my self because my whole bass became this big conducter (it really hurts). my friend had to turn it off for me. You should check your equipment you can seriosuly kill you self if your not carefull.

7. Consider investing in a Residual Current Device (circuit breaker): NOT an MCB because they're just like fuses and are not what you want in this case. You know, the device that you (should) use with outdoor power tools and equipment.

RCDs sense out of balance currents to earth and trip so cutting off the power. Try to get one with a low trip current and time: something like 30 milliamps @ 30 milliseconds might be accepted as OK in UK.

An RCD could well save your life.

RJ

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Nobody mentioned this, but on most basses, the bridge is connected to ground, so the STRINGS are grounded. This is why a bass can be a fatal shock hazard.

The RCD Rockin' John mentioned is known as a Ground Fault Interrruptor (GFI) here in the USA.

9. ELECTRICAL SAFETY: This is an interesting subject and, pertaining to bands, it probably deserves a thread all to itself.

It's something that I suspect most bands (at least those that don't employ an electrical guy of some description) pay no attention to at all. There is the general assumption that the electrical side is Ok when in all probability it's not.

RJ

10. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    But why does my pickup get louder when I touch it.

11. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Its that electric current you feel in your hands!

Jake, I'm being serious here, you can KILL yourself! Stop touching it and get the damn outlet looked at by an electrician.

12. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    I just recently dropped my bass of a store to get looked at and my mom is calling the electrician as we speak.

13. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Good job! :D

I want you to live to become a great old bass player!

14. Electrical miswiring and ground faults can be deadly so I used to carry a curcuit tester (5 -12 bucks at a home center) that plugs into a grounded outlet and lights up to show correct wiring or any faults. I am now using one of those really fancy surge protectors with a circuit tester built in. If there is a serious problem I do not play, being a pro is one thing but becoming a dead pro is not my goal. I also do not play during Thunder storms.

15. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    My tech added a grounding wire and the current is gone.I think he fixed my dangerous problem allthough he said my electronics still need fixed.

16. Ok maybe just maybe you have a short, even in your power cable, or the earth lead in the power cable is not connected. I wouldn't even comtemplating turning this amp on until its been seen to. I build amps and my god, its not a nice feeling to be shocked.

Consider yourself lucky you didn't get a shock when u flicked the power switch because when one gets shocked badly, the muscles tense up and tend to latch onto what they are holding..

GET IT FIXED IMMEDIATELY

Merls

17. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    My amp doesnt shock me. Its my strings when I play through my multi tracker that shocks me. It doesnt have a grounding wire.

18. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    My bass buzzes when I'm not touching the strings but as soon as I touch the strings or the bridge it stops. I'm guessing this is a grounding problem on the bass but is it something I should be worried about?

19. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    the other day i tried a very old and crappy SUNN amp and cabinet... i was zapped like 9 times before someone could fix it up... very horrible feeling...

i was so scared to turn on the light at my house :D

20. Jake15

Jake15

Jan 17, 2001
    USA, PA
    The multitracker doesnt have a grounding wire but It still shouldnt shock me . Its a Boss Br-8. Please help me on this.