Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electric for upright slapping?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jgregpegleg, Nov 3, 2005.

1. My question is "Is their a bass out there that the neck sits higher from the body and has a slight arc in it and the bridge allowing for some upright rockabilly slap bass technique on the neck?"
    Like a small upright you can wear with a strap and play like an electric. I can't accomodate an upright or EUB and really would not care to play one anymore even if I had room to transport it.
    I have always played aggresive and battled against pickup noise. I have been playing along with a banjo player and washboard and mimicking their "BOOM-CHIKA-BOOM" rhythm at times by spanking and plucking with a flat palm to mute unused strings along with some left hand muting. I use a fretted 92' ernie ball musicman with a rosewood neck because it can handle the rigors of touring for 3 weeks at a time in varying temperatures and elevations and has one humbucker at the bridge offering alot of digging room. Not much digging depth.
    I think some of the hollow and semi-hollow basses have a slightly greater digging depth. I know that Zon and Zeta have made some transition/crossover basses but they are more for scale and angle of playing issues I think.
    -THANKS

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Azola offer an arched upright-style fingerboard on their Deco model. Very expensive bass.

[​IMG]

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You can play a NS electric upright with a strap

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Hofner ?

5. [​IMG] Zeta makes the Strados Crossover Bass.
    It can be played like an EUB or strapped on like an EB.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I do rockabilly slapping on an electric all the time, and I just use whatever bass I happen to be playing at the time. Contrary to popular belief, you don't "dig in." You just grab the string with the fingertips and lightly pull. Not quite as satisfying as using my upright, but it gets the job done. I can even slap triplets now.

7. Thanks for the initial replies.
    The azola really looks promising for digging depth/neck from body space.
    The crossover looks to have a typical neck/body height and a flat neck.
    I will have to look at the NS bass closer.
    Some expensive options!
    -THANKS AGAIN!

8. Thanks Jimmy! I can get doubles and triples by "spanking" and pulling with my fingertips.
    I am interested in doing segmented palm slaps that I find are harder to do on a flat neck close to the body.
    I can also do it on any bass but find a bass with no neck pickup helps with speed, ease, and pickup noise.