Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

electric fretless bass that sound most like double bass..does it exist?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shackman, Apr 26, 2002.

1. I play double bass, and i have a mia jazz deluxe..but i really want a fretless electric that sounds as close to a double bass as possible. a nice dark tone even. any suggestions. does something like this even exist. i just cant play my double bass in my fusion band cuz it gets too loud and i cant cut through.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    F-Bass Alain Caron fretless. Nothing comes close(except maybe a Double Bass!). It is a semi-hollow body, with a Maple back and spruce top. The bass has a single F-bass made soapbar, and a Piezo bridge. The bass sounds so close to the DB it's scary! Absolutely great playing and sounding bass.
    Wish I had the $$$ to afford one!:)
    [​IMG]

I'm going to start work on a 6-string fretted...convert it to fretless, strip the finish and oil the body, and put a piezo pickup(bridge mounted) in. Hopefully I can get it close to sounding like a DB!

3. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I think the sound of the Mwah and stuff like that is mostly from the setup of the bass.. If the bass is setup correctly, it will have no problems with the mwah.. and definitely the type of strings you use on the bass

DM

4. For me the Godin A4 with LR Baggs preamp was the "woodiest", warmest, most acoustic sounding bass I've ever played. Of course it's a semi hollow body but it sounded great.

They are affordable and fairly frequent on the used market.

5. fivestringdan

fivestringdan Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2001
    Little Rock, AR
    I use Thomastik nylon core strings and it really brings out a sound very close to an acoustic bass. Also the Thomastik jazz flats have a nice, mello sound. I also use Thomastik strings on my upright. I guess I like those strings.

6. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Is an electric upright an option?

7. MMW fan?

i think that epiphone makes a fretless "violin bass" that sounds quite upright-ish...Rob Allen is a great choice...

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think almost any fretless would if you use flats and don't have the strings laying on the fretboard. something with a softer body wood (possibly semi-hollow) and an ebony board would work great.

9. I've got to agree with the F-Bass Caron model, especially with the piezo soloed.

10. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    I think the Lightwave pickup system cops the upright sound fairly well, though if I had to pick a bass to really do the upright thing, I'd get a Rick turner Renaissance fretless bass. The couple that I have tried were very nice and had a great woody sound, especially if you use the Thomastik nylon cores as previously mentioned.

11. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
  12. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    He didn't want mwah, he wanted it to sound like an upright! They don't mwah.

I vote Rob Allen, most definitely.

Also, I disagree about the F bass AC. Amazing amazing bass, but it didn't sound at all like an upright, even with the piezos totally solo'd. Just IME, but it's definitely worth the investment either way!

13. I second the Godin A4 - a beautifully made bass and is extremely acoustic sounding. I often use it instead of my double bass.

14. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Third.

What he said.

15. Tell that to NHOP. Whether you like his tone or not, there's no mistaking that he's got some mwah going.

16. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
  17. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Ok, point taken. So not that upright CAN'T, but "upright tone" doesn't.

18. bassmanjones

bassmanjones

Feb 23, 2002
    Boston, MA
    Another vote for Rob Allen....that was kind of his whole point in making his bass.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego