Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ELECTRIC FRETLESS MONSTERS???!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by CRICKETBREATH, Feb 10, 2003.

1. I WANT YOU TO RACK THAT CRANIUM OF YOURS AND HELP ME SEARCH OUT THE MOST INCREDIBLE ELECTRIC FRETLESS PLAYERS OUT THERE!!!!

TO BE FAIRLY SPECIFIC, I AM LOOKING TO BUY MORE CDS, PREFERABLY INSTRUMENTAL MUSIC -ANY STYLE -(LESS VOCALS THE BETTER!), THAT IS DRENCHED WITH ELECTRIC FRETLESS BASS THROUGHOUT! I DO HAVE A PRETTY SOLID CD COLLECTION OF FRETLESS PLAYERS ALREADY(SOME WITH VOCALS), SO I'M GOING TO NEED MORE THAN THE "JACO" ANSWER. I WILL START A LIST OF WHO I ALREADY KNOW AND YOU GUYS/GIRLS FILL IN THE PLAYERS THAT I SHOULD CHECK OUT:(AND HOPEFULLY MY LIST WILL HELP SOME OF YOU OUT THERE (ALSO), FIND SOME PLAYERS YOU MIGHT NOT KNOW ABOUT YET!)

NOTE: NOT A LIST FOR RANKING, JUST A LIST OF MANY GREAT FRETLESS PLAYERS THAT MOVE ME!
    (GRANTED SOME OF THESE ARTISTS DON'T PLAY FRETLESS EXCLUSIVELY ON THEIR CDS)

1. GARY WILLIS (TRIBAL TECH) -ANYTHING HE PLAYS ON. MIND-BOGGLING!!!!!!!!!!!
    2. JACO PASTORIUS (SOLO/WEATHER REPORT)-JUST ABOUT ANYTHING! ONE & ONLY!
    3. MICHAEL MANRING-OWN 'EM ALL
    4. ALAIN CARON (SOLO AND UZEB)- OWN 'EM ALL
    5.OTEIL BURBRIDGE (SOLO/ AQUARIUM RESCUE UNIT)- MOST EVERYTHING
    6.MARCUS MILLER-EVERYTHING, THOUGH HE'S MORE A FRETTED PLAYER, HIS FRETLESS WORK SOUNDS INCREDIBLE.
    7. VICTOR WOOTEN (SOLO/FLECKTONES)-EVERYTHING, ALSO MORE A FRETTED PLAYER, BUT HAS SOME AMAZING SOUNDING FRETLESS STUFF.
    8. MICK KARN (SOLO/JAPAN?)- NOT FAMILIAR WITH JAPAN, BUT I KNOW HIS SOLO WORK IS REALLY UNIQUE! ANYBODY ON JAPAN?
    9. BAKITHI KUMALO (SOLO/PAUL SIMON)- FUN STUFF ON PAUL SIMON'S "GRACELAND" CD AND WONDERFUL SOLO CDS!!!!!!!
    10. STEVE BAILEY (RIPPINGTONS?/WOOTEN)- EXTREMELY UNIQUE SOUNDS FROM THIS GUY! LOVE HIS WORK WITH BASSIST VICTOR WOOTEN, BUT LACK KNOWLEDGE OF OTHER PROJECTS.
    11. LES CLAYPOOL (SOLO/PRIMUS)- "SAILING THE SEAS OF CHEESE" THOUGH I OWN IT ALL, DEFINATELY FLOATS MY BOAT FOR HIS ORIGINALITY, AGGRESSIVE PLAYING AND ODDNESS!
    12. BRAD HOUSER (CRITTERS BUGGIN')-OWN 'EM ALL. MUCH LESS KNOWN THAN OTHERS ON MY LIST, BUT HIS WORK REALLY EXCITES MY EARS, AND I'M NOT TRYING TO MAKE A LIST BASED ON "MOST POPULAR" HERE!
    13. VICTOR BAILEY (SOLO/WEATHER REPORT)-ABSOLUTELY STUNNING PLAYER, OWN 'EM ALL!
    14. TONY LEVIN (SOLO/ PETER GABRIEL/KING CRIMSON)- PLAYS THE STICK TOO, BUT ALL HIS WORK IS POWERFUL. BEAUTIFUL FRETLESS TONES FROM THIS MASTER!
    ALRIGHT! I NEED YOUR HELP FROM HERE!!! WHO AM I SERIOUSLY MISSING OUT ON THAT PLAYS SOME MEAN ELECTRIC FRETLESS BASS?????? I KNOW THERE IS SO MUCH WONDERFUL WORK THAT I HAVE NOT TAPPED INTO YET! LET'S KEEP THIS ONE ON SUBJECT, AND MAYBE WE WILL ALL LEARN OF SOME PLAYERS WE'VE BEEN MISSING OUT ON!!!!!

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, first off, welcome to talkbass. :) glad you're here.

secondly, it's generally considered bad form on the net to type in all caps. all caps usually mean you're doing the equivalent of shouting, and it makes a post, especially a long one like yours, a bit difficult to read. it's not a problem, really, but just a heads-up - turn off the caps lock ;)

on to the point of your post, pino paladino is a great fretless player that i don't see on your list. check out his work with clapton and don henley.

a bit of self promotion, this song is all 7 string fretless :D ...

http://lordonly.net/Mp3s/Fear-LordOnly.mp3

3. Pino Paladino, I will definately have to check him out. Thank you!

P.S. I APOLOGIZE FOR "SHOUTING", BUT DUE TO AN ACCIDENT IN MY YOUTH, MY EYESIGHT WAS AFFECTED AND ALL-CAPS MAKES TYPING EASIER FOR ME TO READ WHAT I TYPE.

4. Here's an idea: type whatever you want to say in all caps in Word beforehand, check it over, and then convert it into all lower-case. Cut and paste into the reply window, and voila!

As you may have noticed, nobody really cares about people who don't capitalize at all.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I second Percy Jones. VERY underrated. Also, Christian McBride.

6. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Check out Richard Bona. He has a couple solo albums out - one of them titled "Reverance", I reccomend. It has a world beat (specifically, African) vibe to it. Richard himself is from Cameroon. Besides his solo career, he has toured with the Zawinul Syndicate and Harry Belafonte and recorded with Larry Coryell, Randy Brecker, and many others. Definately worth it to listen to his work.

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You know, in Windows, you can change the settings so that all text appears larger. Right-click on the desktop, click Properties, and in the window that appears, click on the "Appearance" tab. In there, you can choose from a list of Windows schemes - some of which have larger fonts, for this purpose.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    *Rocky from Bullwinkle voice*
    "Well thank you, Mr. Know it all!"
    *Rocky voice off* :D

9. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Mark Egan does some tasty electric fretless on Joe Beck's "Fingerpainting"

Jack Bruce plays a Warwick Fretless on Gov't Mule's Deep End Vol 1 track "Fool's Moon"--can see him playing on "Rising Low" DVD--i have to admit though, that per my ear, i couldn't tell it was fretless until i saw the dvd!

10. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    British session player Laurence Cottle can play a mean fretless, he's on one of the Basstalk samplers (Basstalk VI).
    Some people might have heard him on Tony Iommi's latest solo album.

And let's not forget Mark Egan.

[EDIT]someone was faster. at least I'm not the only one who remembers mark :)

11. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Not to mention, our very own Steve Lawson :)

12. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Bunny Brunel. The first album I heard him on, "Secret Agent," by Chick Corea, blew me away. You can hear some of his stuff at www.bunnybrunel.com. And you can buy his bass from Carvin ;) .

13. did Jeff Berlin play fretless?
    :confused:
    I was under the impression he deliberately avoided it.

14. Second Richard Bona, and third, and fourth, and fifth etc. Unbelievable player.

Cheers Rody

15. Rslphe Armstrong with JL Ponty and Mahavishnu Orch is a wonderful fretless player with over the top solos

Jimmy Johnson with Flim & BB's and Allan Holdsworth and some good/bad LA studio stuff has wonderful intonation & tone and his solos are breathtaking.

Abe Laboriel monster player who is amazing to hear and watch and somehow happy all the time.

I have Hansford Rowe from Gong and GongZilla in the player right now who does some groovy spacey stuff.

16. Hey CRICKETBREATH,
    A really good bass player is Stanlry Clare I think it has what your looking for it is a really good CD.

17. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    :D

18. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wow, I think this is the first time ever that Hansford was mentioned @ TB. :)

Have you by chance heard the Steel Blue album?
    That just intonation stuff is awesome.

19. Steve Swallow, I'm familiar with his work with both Carla Bley, and Chick Corea. Very Tasteful licks.
    I certainly wouldn't afix him with 'Fretless Monster', but greatly competent would do.