1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Electric Generator for outdoor performance?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by UCIbassPlayer, Apr 13, 2006.

1. UCIbassPlayer

UCIbassPlayer

Apr 13, 2006
    Hello I'm new to the forums and in need of some info. I'm the bass player for the UC Irvine pep band and we've got a gig coming up soon where there's no electricity in the area. I was wondering if I rented a generator if it would be enough to power my Carvin R1000 amp? I really don't know how much power it consumes although it's rated to output 1000 watts.

Any help would be much appreciated.

2. danman

danman

May 18, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Look on the back of the amp. There should be a power consumption in amperes or watts. Go get a generator that will do those amps or watts.
    The consumption should be somewhere near the power inlet on the back of the amp.

danman

3. I don't know the answer, but I'd like to give a shout out for my alma mater (class of 1977).

4. JOME77

JOME77

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    After you confirm that the generator will supply adequate power, I'd also recommend you use a filtering device (UPS) to assure that no spikes or surges occur that could damage your amp.

5. BBMS

BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    I have use this: http://www.4lots.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=8. We have two rigs powering either a QSC1450/BBE BMax/AKG wireless or a Carvin BRX212 for football games. The invertor has always done well. One would have to run it continuously to see how long past three hours it lasted, however. No noise, although some smaller generators are pretty quiet.