Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

ELECTRIC GUITAR AMP PLEASE HELP!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by choo5, Jul 31, 2004.

1. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    i bought an 120w amp off ebay yesterday and thismorning i got this email...

Dear (cencored to protect the innocent),

gday, you put in the highest bid for my once loved guitar amp. now, i'm sorry, but i had to take it off ebay after testing it this morning, and found it didn't work as well as i was told. my dad had tested it for me abot 2 months ago, and said it was fine. but i found the volume controls are very crunchy and unreliable (the resistor pots in them must be quite oxidised), so it's not worth the money you've put up for the bid. so, thanks for bidding, and sorry if i've disappointed you by taking it 'offline' - at this stage, i'm not sure if i'll junk it or replace the pots, because it is actually quite a nice sounding and performing amp. (cencored)

i got it rather cheap and i was wondering how much (aprox) it'd cost to fix the problem he mentioned (i wouldnt be surprised if seller is a bit cut because i got it cheap and doesnt want to sell it)

- thanks
    choo63

(i didnt know where else to go with my question, im not a member on many forums...)

2. Thats uber sucky.

It like someone giving you candy and right when ur about to put it in your mouth they take it back.

you might like TB, we're very useful. Though this question will probably be moved to the amp section. You'll get a better response there and prolly some ways to get the same amp.

3. Misc or amps would probably be more appropriate. Umm, I don't have a clue about the prices I'm afraid. All I can say is that it probably isn't worth the hassle. If he says its not worth the money, that would be all I'd need to hear. I'd be happy that he didn't just send it to me as is, personally.

Leigh

4. odie

odie Supporting Member

Just a heads up about Talkbass. Each forum has its one specialty but OT. Ot is for Non-Music topics. So this will be moved to amps.

5. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    ah sory, i posted in OT as it wasnt a bass guitar amp... (still looking for information - i wanted to buy this amp as it was cheap and i need an amp for visitors to play with / me to muck around with on an old electric guitar that im picking up this week)

- thanks

6. Did he remove it from Ebay before the auction was set to end? If not, you've bought the amp, he should honor the sale.

You say you bought it cheap, maybe he didn't want to sell it that cheap but he hadn't set a reserve or he set an opening bid too low, now he's trying to go back on the sale. Of course, it's always possible he's being honest....he should give YOU the option to either buy it from him or walk away.

If the auction has ended, and ebay says you are the winner, but he doesn't want to sell you the amp, it's negative feedback time!!! Unless you want to take him at his word.

As far as dirty pots, some cleaner may (temporarily) solve the problem. For a vintage amp, it'd be worth replacing them, but for newer amps it's a lot of trouble because they're often directly soldered to the circuit board. Gotta buy the exact same replacement pot too.

7. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
  8. I had a Gorilla amp years ago. While a good little practice amp, I don't think it's really 120 watts--I think that's the AC power use...I think it's more like 65 watts, hence the "65" in the name.

I don't know how much the Au $ converts to US, but the amp brand new was less than $100 US.

Pots are generally 2 to 5 $US each, plus the time to change them. If they're circuit board mounted, they're a pain to change. And what if it isn't the pot, but another problem...like an input IC....

In other words, I don't think this is a good deal, especially if it has something that needs repair. If he doesn't want to sell it, let it go then.....tell the guy OK and walk away.

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Pots are easy to find and easy to install. It's very likely you won't even have to get new ones. Sometimes just a quick spray with a can of "contact cleaner" will solve the problem. Most pots have a little hole in them where dust gets in and collects around the resistance element and the wiper. That (most likely) is where the "scratchiness" is coming from. Although, once in a blue moon you'll find a pot that's truly "broken" (ie broken wiper, or shaft that doesn't turn anymore, or cracked resistance element). But scratchy pots is probably "the" most common problem with guitar amps. And 99% of the time all it takes to fix it is a good squirt of contact cleaner.

I use a Caig product called DeOxit, which you can get from Antique Electronics Supply (tubesandmore.com), or any of a dozen other online parts supply places. It's a very good contact cleaner, much better than the stuff you typically find at Fry's (or whatever your local computer retailer is). What you want to do, is use the little extension thingy, and put the end right up into the hole in the pot (where the three connections are). Give it a decent squirt (not too much, and not too little), and then rotate the shaft through its range a few times, maybe five or ten times. Then let it sit for about ten minutes, till the contact cleaner dries, and then rotate the shaft a few more times. That should clean out most of the junk.

10. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Doesn't look reliable to me.... perhaps you'd better drop the thing, try to get a decent amplifier at a shop, which isn't too much money. :rolleyes:

11. choo5

choo5

Apr 15, 2004
    sydney, australia
    i messaged the seller saying i was still intrested and some instructions about how to get it working....

i found out he had given the amp away to someone down the street... (i wouldnt be surprised if he had done this and that the forementioned problems were just a lie to make me not want it anymore) im very angry over this issue and i will be contacting ebay customer support over it... (if i leave negative feedback the same i assume will be left for me: i want to keep my 100% rating)

12. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    Can't you comment on the negative feedback you get on eBay? With that in mind you could explain at least the nonsense what some people post.

13. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    IMO he did you a favor, so it doesn't seem to me that you have anything major to complain about. I'm a guitarist as well as a bassist, and I have some degree of familiarity with guitar gear. IMO that Gorilla's not a very good amp IMO, it certainly wasn't anywhere near 120 W, and that wasn't a great price even if it had been working perfectly. What with the need to fix it, and then not having something all that good even when you did, I think you're well out of it.

I'm not trying to be harsh, but I don't think you'd be doing yourself a favor by pursuing this further, and frankly, I think the guy deserves some thanks for not selling you something that's not working right.

14. De Teng

De Teng

Oct 27, 2003
    Utrecht, Holland
    I am quite familiar with guitar stuff too, I have been playing guitar since I was ten years old. Now I am 24. Probably the guy doesn't know any better. I would never have bought the thing, perhaps you'd drop the issue.?