1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

electric guitar help!?!?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by PeaveyPlayer, Mar 6, 2016.

1. PeaveyPlayer

PeaveyPlayer Supporting Member

Jul 15, 2014
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Just bought a cheap peavey raptor to fool around with

i picked up some cobalt strings for it and opened up the rear plate

I see the tremolo system is of center is this normal?

IMG_0115.JPG IMG_0114.JPG

2. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If it works correctly don't worry about it.

3. 202dy

202dy Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2006
    It's fine. If the tension of the new strings is the same as what is on their now there will be no problems restring.

A tip: Change one string at a time, bringing the new string to pitch before changing the next string. Otherwise you will be asking for help on resetting the trem.

4. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Sometimes the springs are offset on the plate to counter the trem bar being offset from the center of the string set's tension, so it rockers evenly.

In this case, it looks like one of the screws missed the prev hole, or maybe the screw had been too short and stripped the hole out, and it was moved as a result.

Functionally it's fine for now, and messing with it too much leaves less solid wood for the adjustment screws.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

A guitar post!!?!?!?!?!

Reported!

;) :D

I'm with the camp that it looks fine but I get trems as much as I get Chinese. I am still confused by the damn things...

6. That is WAY too crooked!

[​IMG]

7. Shortie

Shortie Boom! Banned

Nov 15, 2015
    Brooklyn USA
    I can't answer this question. I own six basses and none of them have tremolo bars. Sorry.

8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You just got scratched off my list of potential hair metal band mates.

9. Shortie

Shortie Boom! Banned

Nov 15, 2015
    Brooklyn USA
    NP - I'm not a metal fan anyhow. (You already figured that out... :roflmao: )

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
    DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  10. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Aside from this being a bass forum ;)... the answer is - yes and no. Yes, it's unfortunately normal ('cause lots of people don't know what they're doing in there); and no, its not right. I'm not about to try to explain how to do it right - especially since I haven't got the thing in my hands - but:
    - The springs should be parallel to each other. See how the 2 outside springs form a right triangle with the center one? They are effectively longer than the center one, 'cause they're the hypotenuse of 2 right triangles; they're under more tension than the center spring, and they're doing most of the work. It's actually possible to dive-bomb the trem hard enough to pop the center spring off, with the springs set that way. Make them all parallel.
    - The tension plate should normally be parallel to the tremolo block that the strings are attached to - if there's nothing mechanically wrong with anything, or the screws aren't messed up.
    That mess looks, to me, like someone who didn't know what they were doing, got in there and screwed it all up. Take it to somebody who does know what they're doing, and have them fix it... or, if you want to try to do it yourself, watch Dave on Dave's World of Fun Stuff do it a few times. You may not like his language, and he's definitely opinionated; but he's fun to watch, and he pretty much knows what he's doing...:thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  11. JustForSport

JustForSport

Nov 17, 2011
    Looked at it again-
    it looks like one screw is in at an angle (possibly at an angle in the correct hole),
    and the other one is screwed in missing the original hole, that's why the plate is up against the side of the route.
    See if you can find the original hole, and see if it'll hold (if the threads are still good).
    Then back the other screw out and run it into its hole straight.
    Measure the distance from the center of the plate to the edge of the route, so you can duplicate that distance when the plate is straight.
    Then your trem should have the same action as it does now.
    Check the great photo submitted by 'Super_Freak' above for reference.