1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

electric guitar pickup question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by electricdemon3, Aug 1, 2002.

1. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I thought this should be miscellaneous since it isn't about bass pickups.

I know alot of you fellow bass players out there also play guitar so maybe you can help. the neck pickup in my guitar has this faint, strange sound when I play the higher frets, like the pitch is wavering up and down real fast.

I thought maybe it was because the pickup was too close to the strings, but lowering it didn't help. Anyone else experience this? the problem is only noticable when I use distortion and I only hear it on the first 3 strings.

Any ideas?

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    depends what kind of guitar it is. If its a squier then your best chance is to get a new pickup. If they are nice reiussue american strat pickups take it to a tech. All guitar pickups are is a magnet, wire, and plastic, there isnt much too them. WHen you break them your kinda SOL. The good news is guitar pickups arent $100 for a good one like bass pickups, theyre closer to $50.

3. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    The problem is that they already are replacement pickups! My guitar is an ESP M-II and I replaced the stock humbuckers with a Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck and a Dimarzio Super Distorion in the bridge.

I guess I better take my guitar in to get looked at. I really hope my pickups aren't damaged. If they are, I may do something I have been thinking about for a while now. I love EMGs in my basses and I am dying to try them out in my guitar.