Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

electric guitar pickup question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by electricdemon3, Aug 1, 2002.

1. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    I thought this should be miscellaneous since it isn't about bass pickups.

I know alot of you fellow bass players out there also play guitar so maybe you can help. the neck pickup in my guitar has this faint, strange sound when I play the higher frets, like the pitch is wavering up and down real fast.

I thought maybe it was because the pickup was too close to the strings, but lowering it didn't help. Anyone else experience this? the problem is only noticable when I use distortion and I only hear it on the first 3 strings.

Any ideas?

2. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    depends what kind of guitar it is. If its a squier then your best chance is to get a new pickup. If they are nice reiussue american strat pickups take it to a tech. All guitar pickups are is a magnet, wire, and plastic, there isnt much too them. WHen you break them your kinda SOL. The good news is guitar pickups arent $100 for a good one like bass pickups, theyre closer to $50.

3. electricdemon3

electricdemon3

Jul 28, 2000
    The problem is that they already are replacement pickups! My guitar is an ESP M-II and I replaced the stock humbuckers with a Seymour Duncan '59 in the neck and a Dimarzio Super Distorion in the bridge.

I guess I better take my guitar in to get looked at. I really hope my pickups aren't damaged. If they are, I may do something I have been thinking about for a while now. I love EMGs in my basses and I am dying to try them out in my guitar.