1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electric Mistress Power Supply

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by WeightedWings, Sep 6, 2008.

1. WeightedWings

WeightedWings

Feb 12, 2008
    So I recently bought a Stereo Electric Mistress on the bay, but I received it today and it didn't come with a power supply. The seller accidentally shipped it to the wrong person and shipped me their pedal, and in the process of talking to the other guy, he seemed pretty angry and mistrustful of the seller. He thought he was buying a vintage small stone because that's how the auction was labeled but I'm pretty sure from seeing it myself its just an old beat up newer model one. Also the seller has some negative feedback including complaints about pedals being broken. So the point of all this is that I'm really nervous about all this so I'd like to test the pedal as soon as possible.

Unfortunately my problem is the aforementioned lack of power supply and the fact that the SEM doesn't take batteries. What I do have is a boss style adapter. This post by MysticBoo makes it sound like you can use the Boss Adaptor:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362399&highlight=stereo+electric+mistress

However, musiciansfriend makes that sound like a really bad idea here:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...eo-Electric-Mistress-Flanger-Pedal?sku=150437

Can anyone shed some light on whether or not I can use the boss adapter?

2. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Standard boss type is fine. I owned the SEM for a while and used it with a normal boss adapter and it was fine n dandy.

3. WeightedWings

WeightedWings

Feb 12, 2008
    Awesome, appreciate it man.

4. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    ;) No problem. And if it disintegrates...that's EHX's fault. :D

5. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    to musicians friend. isnt everything a musician does a bad idea?

6. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    So there was a "reason" that EH sent the power supply. I powered mine off a Gator Power Supply. Worked awesome. She left for other reasons.

7. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    free power supply = higher retail price =p

8. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's what I thought!

9. bass_fish

bass_fish

Oct 26, 2006
    the Netherlands
    EHX says that with all their pedals... "only use EHX [type number] power supply" and on some older pedals they had a point(reverse polarity, smaller connectors) but to me it seems like a lot of BS, mine work fine with my boss or hartke adapter...

10. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    The regular Boss power supply works fine, as does a Dunlop DC Brick, Visual Sound One Spot, Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+, etc.

The SEM is supposed to come with an adapter because it doesn't use batteries. It has nothing to do with whether the adapter is "special". All brand-new EHX pedals which cannot run on batteries will come with adapters, while the battery-powered ones won't.

On a side note, the manual also says that it uses a Boss/Ibanez style regulated 9VDC 200mA adapter. The plug is 2.1mm, center-negative. All of these specs are Boss-standard specs.

My point is: **** Musician's Friend. Do your homework. ;)

Some older EHX pedals do use very unusual supplies, however, as do modern ones. A good example is with any of their tube-loaded (12VAC) or 24VDC pedals.

11. selfblessed

selfblessed

Dec 29, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well that is actually nice of EH. Another reason EH is a great company...well in my book they are.

I miss my Nano Stone. :crying: