1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electric or Acoustic-electric fretless?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by strost, Oct 2, 2008.

1. strost

strost Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    Hi All. I'm a new member and I was hoping to get some advice. I have recently started playing in a duo where we do mostly acoustic stuff and I find myself constantly wishing I had a fretless. The question is whether I want an electric or if I should go acoustic-electric. On the one hand the electric seems more versitile but is might be nice to have something acoustic for those amp-free moments.

Any thoughts on which way to go or advice on specific models would be great. I'm looking to spend under $600.

Thanks!

2. Well,I'm not really a pro on this kind of stuff but perhaps a semi-acoustic fretless electric bass is something you shouldn't overlook,I have heard a few nice reviews on the dean rhapsody fretless,it is supposedly an awesome bass if you put in a new preamp.

3. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    What kind of sound are you looking for?

4. it depends what sound your after...

if you want something like an upright tone, get the acoustic.
    but if you want something like jaco's tone, electric is the way to go.

i have never actually played an acoustic bass, but i heard that they are very quiet, volumewise.
    its not going to be as loud as an acoustic guitar.

5. +1 especially on the volume. I've got an acoustic fretted, and maybe it's because of the brand, or the fact it's not "top of the line", but it's not very loud at all. Came with a built in pick up, though, and sounds pretty good that way. Best bet is to go somewhere and try some out. Take your friend along to play with you at the same time and try the material out you'll be doing with each one. Then you two can talk/compare tone, etc and that would give you a good idea on a direction of what to get.

6. strost

strost Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Blacksburg, VA
    Thanks for your responses. I need to find a store with an acoustic fretless just to try. Right now the basic fender jazz fretless is looking pretty good. I play with pretty low action and I'm worried the acoustic might be too high.