Electric Tuners

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Cambass, Feb 27, 2001.

1. Hi

I'm going to buy an electronic tuner soon and was wondering which kind to get. I have looked around and seen a few different ones such as guitar tuners, guitar and bass and also chromatic.

At the moment I'm thinking of chromatic since my understanding is that they have more range of notes which would be handy for sorting out itonation. (Please correct me if I'm wrong!).

The most common I've seen are tuners for guitars, not bass inparticular and Í'm not sure if they'd be suitable for bass.

Anyone have advice? (btw I am working on training my ear :) )
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Get the Korg GT-3. It's only like $30 bucks & i've have it for about 3 years & it's taken TOO many falls @ still worksk like a charm.

<b>At the moment I'm thinking of chromatic since my understanding is that they have more range of notes...</b>Correct

<b>...which would be handy for sorting out itonation. </b>Nope. Intonation has nothing do w/a tuner being Chomatic or not. If you tune to normal tuning (E-A-D-G) the harmonic @ the 12 fret has to be equal to playing the 12 fret of that particular string.

The Korg GT-3 can be tunned sharp & flat so you have alot of different tuning posibilities from a $30 tuner.
  3. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I have the Arion HU-8400 (available at musicians friend) and I think it is great. Prior to that I had an old Arion 8800 that was a great basic tuner. The only reason I "upgraded" was to get the LEDs on the 8400 plus the option to tune manually or auto tune modes.

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Get an auto-chromatic tuner, if you can afford it.
    I have a KORG AT-2 and it's great for checking fretless intonation or alternate tunings.
  5. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    I use the Boss TU-2 and like it a lot. It runs between 80-100 bucks I think, not sure how much you want to spend. I'm not sure what is the best tuner for a more reasonable price, hopefully you'll get more feedback.

For the money, I consider the TU-2 worth every penny. It's intuitive, solid, and versatile(guitar/bass + alternate tunings flat and double flat).

I'm glad my last needle tuner died on me, it was a pain in the a$$ compared to this one. This is the last tuner I'll ever need to buy for a long time.