Electric Upright Bass project progress

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Mon Rominee, Oct 14, 2005.

1. some of you may remember my "mad scientist" experiment wherein I wanted to try to build an EUB on the cheap, and possibly try some alternate materials / construction techniques in the build.

Well, not entirely "alternate materials" yet (pretty common really, as is the build, but I'm being realistic to my ability) but I still plan on using the resin fingerboard idea, as well as the embedded piezo element pup / bridge idea...those are in the works.

Here's a couple pics I capped off of parts I ran on the CNC machines recently;
    the body
    the peghead
    and a quick layout for scale (it's full 42" scale!!!)

just thought I'd share some progress. I'll post pics of the fingerboard as soon as it comes off the router. should be interesting, I'm doing the 4" radius with 5/8" a ballcutter, then profiling it. The fingerboard is going to be made of celtec (grey) and I'll prolly hardcoat it with epoxy after I do an inlay.

This bass will be playable upright fixed to a stand (still working on that,modifying a tom-drum holder) or seated on lap (and the reach is designed just about 2" past 1st position on a Fender P.

I do love free materials. They may not all be the best, but they sure do the trick regardless. the body pieces were shop scrap, and the neck wood was a freebie: an 8 quarter, 4" wide, 4' long pc. of flatsawn maple. not too shabby (it had a check in it, but luckily didn't extend into the lower bout of the neck after routing, or I would have had to fix that best as possible)
  2. Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Very cool peghead. It looks like the project is coming along well.
  3. Thanks guys! I'm in the middle of getting some inlay ready for the peghead. I have some nice light, yet bold-grain rosewood I am going to set in the back to offset the maple, as well as the chrome of the tuners. I may use it to dress up the top-front of the peghead too. I will also use it for the "octave" inlay. I kinda think the body looks like a puzzle piece, so that may be the inlay... time to sort thru old puzzles to find a neat looking piece as a template.

Do you think, since the top has some nice grain, that a light green stain followed by an oil finish is in order? I think it'd look pretty cool. I was thinking about taking a 5/16" roundover bit to the top perimeter, and let the shoulder of the bit dig in as well, to make it look a little more "regal".

We'll see. Thanks again. More pics soon.
  4. I vaguely remember seeing sketches of this bass, & not liking it(I hope I didn't say so :rolleyes: ), but actual carved-up wood certainly looks better! Please continue! As for finish, try out your intended process on a small piece of similar material. Your idea sounds good to me.
  5. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    That's an upright? WOW! Now THAT'S COOL! Nice work!
  6. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Super cool design! It's nice to see something completely original.
    I'm surprised I haven't seen this thread before. Keep up the good work!
  7. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    I love it!! Can't wait to see it done.
  8. HEY! Thanks a ton guys, it really means alot to me, moving forward with it. I hope to get the fingerboard done today.

As soon as I get any type of progress, (its slow going as always) I will post it. It's kinda exciting.
  9. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    awesome project! I can't wait to see how it turns out! I would love to build an EUB, there's not room in my 1 bdrm apt for my upright so it's been living with my parents for years and I can only play it over there... hmmm.
  10. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    A+ on your design. Looks great!