Electric Upright Bass Recommendations

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by jdh3000, Aug 9, 2019.

1. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas
    I’ve been looking at the NS Design Wav4.

A friend had loaned me his NXT and I liked it, but the new ones are a little out of my price range.

The Stagg EDB gets some good reviews but has some issues with the sliding stand pulling on the wiring; plus it’s fretboard is plastic like material.

Anyone know about the Palentino? How are they for volume and any feedback issues in a live situation since they are partially hallow body?

Any other recommendations that are around $1000?

Thank you!

2. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    The problems with the Stagg are all manageable...

- The end pin does NOT pull on any electronics however, it may 'clunk' if you don't put some heatshrink or tape at the end.
    - The fingerboard can be Pau Ferro (or Rosewood) (RDL model)
    - The chamber housing the electronics need to be sheilded, metal tape works great

IMG_4505.JPG

OldFenderPlayer and jdh3000 like this.
  3. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas

How does it sound? I've read it has pretty hot pickups, which is good for what I need.

I like the way the bridge adjusts.

GrapeBass likes this.
  4. GrapeBass

GrapeBass

Jun 10, 2004
    Toronto
    Graphic designer: Yorkville Sound
    I hadn't played a upright in 30 years but decided to pick this one up (Stagg) because it was a steal-of-a-deal on kijiji. It works well for my current semi-acoustic jazz/blues/classic rock project although I cannot play all of the songs with the upright (mostly due to my own chops). It does sound pretty good, I was supposed to compare directly with my friends NSD but that did not work out.

The pickup is pretty hot, I typically run it 1/4-1/3 of the volume. I personally find the tone pot useless.

jdh3000 likes this.
  5. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    I've had the Stagg, was a nightmare to play untill I put decent strings on it. Then It was very nice.

6. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas
    Some good info on this bass. New ones come in at a decent price and I only would be playing in on certain songs...

Thanks!

GrapeBass likes this.
  7. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas
    What strings did you put on it?

GrapeBass likes this.
  8. Jebberz

Jebberz Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2012
    Quebec city
    Thomastick Spirocore

SwitchGear and jdh3000 like this.
  9. rknea

rknea Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Queretaro, Mexico
    There's an NS Design Wave4 in the TB classifieds for $950! That's a GREAT price even if you have to pay a bit more for shipping. I had a 5 string NS and it was great for where I was at the time, but I missed the real acoustic sound of the DB.

Kickdrum and jdh3000 like this.
  10. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas
    I'll look at it, thanks!

rknea likes this.
  11. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas

How is the battery life?

12. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I have had a NS NXT4 for several years and like it, plays nice, for good tone I got a decent pre because mine has a 10 megohm output so it needs a pre to match (the NXTa model has a built in pre) I also upgraded the tuners so I could put Obligatos on it which work vert well.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    jdh3000 likes this.
  13. Use lower tension synthetic core strings with solid body EUBs. Spiro Solo 4/4 tuned down to orchestral tuning might work well too.

jthisdell and jdh3000 like this.
  14. John Le Guyader

John Le Guyader Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    I had a Stagg...hated its internal preamp, but otherwise for the price it was ok. I sold the Stagg after I picked up a used Yamaha Silent bass SLB200 on ebay for around $800. It had some issues that needed attention, but it is far superior to the Stagg. Pizz and arco are good on the Yamaha with the right strings. I have Zyex light strings on mine now. I love the tension for pizz, but they are just ok for arco. If you can find a Yamaha Silent bass used at a good price I'd buy it, they are much nicer compared to a Stagg. The Yamaha does not suffer the issues already identified in this thread for the Stagg. New, the Yamaha's are pricey, at least to me...I consider myself lucky finding my Yamaha for the price even though I had to put a little money into it: nut needed adjustment, new strings, new endpin (1/2" Steel Rod, added a stop), and made a new body rest (it did not come with the body frame and a big reason it was the price I got it for).

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
    jdh3000 likes this.
  15. madbanjoman

madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I own a Stagg EUB. I don't play it much anymore except at events like picnics. Here is a clip of me playing it:

I never minded it by itself but switching between it and my DB was a little more awkward.

My main EUB is now a MK Studio which is muck nicer to play and closer to my DB in feel.

jdh3000 likes this.
  16. Jared Houseman

Jared Houseman

Jul 5, 2018
    The WAV4 is great to play! When set to "Arco" mode you get the nice thumpy upright sound, and in the "pizz" you more of a fretless bass sound.

I use the WAV4 in a bluegrass band set to acro mode and the tone half way. It works great and I have gotten many comments from friends and family about how "they like how it can be heard more than my acoustic" aka it cuts through a mix well

jdh3000 likes this.
  17. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I didn't know that was why Obligatos work with an NXT. I knew they were low tension and I knew they worked but did not put the two together. Makes sense though, lower tension is going to minimize the solid body ringing through the note. Thanks.

18. I have a Palatino I bought when my son thought he might take up string bass in high school, I didn't want to pop for a real bass and got the Palatino for round $700.
    I've had it around 10 years now, and have never been able to get it "to "not" sound tinny, pizz or arco.
    I had heard rubber inner tube patches under the bridge would help, but they were not enough to hold down the irritating scratchy electronic essence.
    [​IMG]

jdh3000 likes this.
  19. jdh3000

jdh3000

May 16, 2016
    Arkansas
    Thank you, I was wondering this issues.

20. 6basser

6basser

Dec 17, 2015
    It would be a bit more than $1000 new, but I'd recommend a Landscape Swing bass Standard.
    Great feel, sound and electronics. A bit more challenging on the higher register than the acoustic, but still an absolute joy to play. Easily transportable and great for practice. If you can find one at that price, I'd say give it a go.
    Another that I haven't had the chance to play but may be picking up sometime in the future is an Ergo 4 or 5 string.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022