Electric Upright Bass?

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by zeppfan90, Aug 7, 2013.

1. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

Mar 27, 2013
    So I am looking to get into playing upright bass. The thing is, they are so damn expensive! Haha. So now I am considering getting an electric upright. I have read they are not the same "feel" as a regular upright, which is probably true because they seem to be much smaller. But I would be able to use my amp with it and I think that would just be cool! So any ideas/tips for getting an electric upright? It will be first one so I do not want to go too high with the price. I was thinking about getting a Dean from musicians friend for $500 but if someone knows of something better for around the same price it would be appreciated!

2. derg

derg Supporting Member

May 26, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
  3. There's a whole forum devoted to EUB in the Double Bass side of things here - probably some good information over there.

4. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    *cough* NS Design *cough*

5. here's the EUB forum on the DB side:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f101/

I play upright bass and I have two of them, as I play out of two locations 100 miles apart. I've thought about getting an EUB but they are expensive. For me, hard to justify. If a venue can fit an upright, that's preferable to an EUB (in my view); if it can't, I have a nice fretless BG to use. I can't see dropping $3k or whatever on an EUB that I might use only very occasionally. Your situation may differ, though.

6. you can easily put a pickup on an upright - both of mine have pickups. I'd save for the best used upright you can find to see if you like the instrument. Starting on a cheap EUB may turn you off to the whole project.

I'm not sure you'll find a decent used upright for $500, but maybe for $1,000.

7. The Dean I believe is not proper upright scale, I think it is electric bass scale...

8. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I would go Ergo. Don't have one might get one some day. Looks to be a great bang for the buck and the owner was very helpful when I emailed him questions.

Ken

9. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    I like my NS eub. It's great for late-night apartment practising, and loud gigs where my real bass would feed back. It also makes a good substitute for fretless bass if needed (using the magnetic pickups).

That said, I think if you get serious about playing upright bass you'll eventually want a real bass, a bow, and a classical teacher.

10. Skokiaan

Skokiaan

Jun 19, 2004
    New Jersey
    The Dean is a piece of crap and nothing like an upright, other than being vertical. It has a flat fingerboard so it cannot be bowed and comes with roundwound strings. The tripod/stand that it comes with is junk, too.

If you want to go cheap you could try a Stagg. I think they're around $600 now (they were $400 when I bought mine in 2008). It's noisy and the headstock is fragile (unless they improved it), but it plays well.

I now play an NSD NXT, about $1,200. NSD also has a Chinese line for around $800.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  11. I lucked out and got a real Steinberger upright on the talkbass upright classified ads for a grand. It plays like a dream and it sounds wonderful, piz or bowed. Packs up small too. But read the EUB forums carefully. The EUB is an instrument all its own. It is not an electric bass guitar and it is not an acoustic upright. It is a crowd pleaser--people always ask about it. It is very convenient for small stages, smaller cars and less than reputable sound systems in various venues. I get a lot of use out of mine. It has payed for itself many times over.

johnny_bolt likes this.
  12. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

NS Design or Azola.

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The Dean is simply a vertical fretless bass guitar. It sounds like a bass guitar, does not feel like an upright, doesn't have the same scale length, doesn't have a rounded radius fingerboard, and doesn't have anything at all to offer you by way of upright bass technique.

Go NS Design or Ergo if you are at all serious about learning to play an electric upright.

14. pbass888

pbass888 Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Denver
    As someone who plays both, i would suggest renting a bass upright till you can buy one. An eub to me is the worst of both worlds .. All the work of the upright while sounding closer to an electric.

15. Farfetched

Farfetched

Jan 7, 2009
    I was in the same situation as you a couple of years ago. The big thing I learned is that if you want to play the upright, buy an upright. EUBs just aren't the same. The tone isn't quite the same and the ergonomics are significantly different. If you get the EUB you'll probably be jonesing for a double bass none too long, then you'll be back where you started. Also the Dean is garbage.

16. crlujan

crlujan

Jul 26, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    KK Baby Bass. Look 'em up.

17. Matt R.

Matt R.

Jul 18, 2007
    Huntsville AL

This here^. And yeah the Dean is 34" scale with a flat radius. You couldn't get further from the feel of an upright.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I own a bass guitar, an NS EUB CR5 and an acoustic Double Bass.

The NS bass actually cost a lot more than the acoustic Double Bass - £700 more ( that's about $1,000!!).

But I play the acoustic bass all the time, while the NS bass sits under my stairs and hasn't been pulled out for years! :eyebrow:

19. Mktrat

Mktrat Seriously, are we not doing phrasing anymore?

Apr 9, 2013
    The Mitten
    All I'm sayin' is I LOVE my ERGO.:bassist:

(and Jessie is a really nice guy...)

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021