1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electric Upright for Old Time Festivals

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by Bob Denton, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Bob Denton

Bob Denton

Dec 28, 2017
    Tucson AZ
    I used to play in Rogers Sprungs touring band when I was a kid and I played bass when necessary.

My last bass and I parted company at a festival in Upstate NY in the 60s. It was pouring rain and it was either me or the bass in the van..the bass lost and when I woke up the bass bag was flat.. I did sell it to someone who rebuilt it.

After years of playing Guitar, Mandolin, Irish tenor and claw hammer, I just took the plunge and bought a Stagg Electric double bass. I intend to use it for acoustic jams and festivals.

What do do for an amp?? Plan A is the Roland Cube Bass and plan B is a larger, more powerful (20 watts) amp and power it with a rechargeable 110v power supply. Cost works out about the same.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks!
    Bob

TomB likes this.
  2. I had the Roland cube and didn’t like it at all. Very quiet and tinny with a bunch of features you don’t need and a power switch that turns on accidentally and drains your batteries.

If you have to use a stick bass, then a Phil jones double four works really well. They can be powered by a usb battery. Tiny amp but much louder and better quality than the Roland. Lots of info on it here.

Other folks are really liking the Roland BA330. It’s much larger and more like a portable PA but supposed to work well for bass.

I’ve been messing around with some home brew solutions that seem to work pretty well. A cheapo 20w amp from parts express and an old phone charger battery i got for free into my cabs has been surprisingly loud. Total cost about $25 for the amp and a step up cable from 5v charger to 12v for the amp.

3. jefkritz

jefkritz

Oct 20, 2007
    iowa city, IA
    This is very interesting... Any particular model you've been using? I'd love to put together a 'home brew' amp head for myself. Any input appreciated.

4. madbanjoman

madbanjoman Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I use a double four with my EUB. It is pretty loud for it’s size. I play outside on the street and battery power it. I added feet to the back so I can have the speakers fire upwards. Here is a video of my band using this setup live:

5. I just use whatever's on sale at Parts Express.com the Lepai 2020 is their classic amp for DIY projects. You can find the step up cables on eBay for dirt cheap.

Something kinda like this: USB to DC Convert Cable 5V to 12V Voltage Step-Up Cable 5.5*2.1mm DC 1M Male | eBay

jefkritz likes this.
  6. Bob Denton

Bob Denton

Dec 28, 2017
    Tucson AZ
    Pitssburg has come a long way since I was last there. Love the tenors..I have 10 (Deering GDL, Paramounts, Clifford Essex Paragon and some Gold Tones). 1 Silver Bell and one Paramount?

Bass sounds great as well.. What amp??
    Thanks!
    Bob

7. madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    It sure has. We even have a 4 string banjo club that is considered one the must sees of Pittsbugh. Both are Silver Bells setup for their individual playing styles.

8. Bob Denton

Bob Denton

Dec 28, 2017
    Tucson AZ
    A bit off topic but check out the Banjo Blast in Tucson, a tenor banjo festival every year or so..loaded with fabulous banjos from the 20s and the original owners. Banjos in much better condition.

What amp??
    Bob

9. madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    We go to one in Dearborn MI every year. There used to be in one in Springfield OH. PBJ Double Four is the amp. Less than 10 lbs. Both of my boys banjos are from the 20s-30s. My banjo is a Goldtone. You can tell who are the real banjo players. :)

10. Bob Denton

Bob Denton

Dec 28, 2017
    Tucson AZ
    Wayne Rogers just made a cutom GT for me which has BOTH a tenor and 5 sting neck on a 12" pot with a sand cast tone ring..best of both worlds..
    Bob

11. madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Wait, both necks at once? Or you can easily switch one for the other? With that tone ring, I bet it has a sweet sound. Truth be told, I have never had a desire to replace my GT tenor. I have been playing it for 16 years and still sounds great and stays in tune no matter what the weather is.

12. madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I had a 5 string Deering Good Time banjo for claw hammer style that I was never completely happy with. I should have got another GT. I also have a GT uke banjo that I love. And a GT uke that is sweet too.

13. Bob Denton

Bob Denton

Dec 28, 2017
    Tucson AZ
    Replace the necks in around 10 minutes. I also break it down and pack it in my suitcase and have assembled it in the airport and gone straight to a gig. My Deering is a Gold Plated Greg Deering Limited custom, around $8K, so a far cry from the Good Time.
    I had an around the world tour a few years ago and didn't want to risk an expensive banjo so I had my GT TS-250 gold plated in Nashville, and it looked spectacular on stage.

Just received my Stagg bass and a Pignose Hog 30 and I think that will definitely do the job.
    Thanks!
    Bob

14. madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    It sure will! That was my original setup (stagg and hog 30). The hog is a great outdoors/festival amp. I often have to carry my setup a ways so reducing weight was the reason I no longer use the hog. I still have my Stagg, but mainly switch between my MK Studio EUB and my DB depending on space and weather.

15. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    Wholeys! Man I bet that’s one stinky gig! Sounds great you guys!

16. madbanjoman

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    Thanks!
    Ha! Actually, either we are used to it or it is not obvious from where we play.

Jason Hollar likes this.
  17. Bob Denton

Bob Denton

Dec 28, 2017
    Tucson AZ
    Turns out a power supply was the "blem" in the Hog 30 from Musicians friend and the the Guitar Center Stagg "blem: was a cracked bridge. The top side bottom piece was cracked and the threaded adjustment rod was wobbling. They offered to replace the base for an extra $100 or try to obtain a replacement from Stagg. In the interim I put wood glue in the hole, put an o ring on a compressor fitting and blew glue through the cracks and clamped it overnight. Seems to be holding.

A new Hog is on the way. I am thrilled with the setup and although I haven't played in a jam since the mid 60s I'm going to give it a shot at out Monday Old Time Jam.

I'm a leather worker (www.tucsonleather.com) and made a canvas and leather trimmed cover for the Hog.

Thanks to all for the help!
    Bob

Attached Files: