1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electric Upright Recommendations

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by Maeve, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Maeve

Maeve

Oct 27, 2018
    I'm looking for an upright electric that will be fairly easy to fly with. Primarily for arco playing, as I am a classical musician. Price is not a factor in my decision, I just want something that feels and sounds similar to an acoustic double bass. Preferably 40.5" scale and E neck, but open to 41" or Eb neck if necessary. Please let me know your recommendations and experiences flying with an upright electric.

2. madbanjoman

madbanjoman Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    I love my MK Studio. I can’t speak to flying with it, but MK makes a fly version of the Studio and Jazz models.

Here is a video clip of the Jazz Fly model being played arco at the 1:35 minute mark.

Because these basses are made to order, you could request the neck and length you require. My Studio has custom reverse wings as I stand on the wrong side of the bass to play it.

Link for the Jazz Fly

Mod.Jazz-Fly - Contrabbassi Elettrici MK

3. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ -- Endorsing Artist-- ---3M Dual Lock--- Supporting Member

Was E neck a typo?

4. rickwolff

rickwolff CGJ -- Endorsing Artist-- ---3M Dual Lock--- Supporting Member

I have owned both the BSX Allegro and the Eminence (Removable Neck version). Both worked fine for pizz and arco and should be easy to fly with, although I never had the occasion.

5. paulunger

paulunger Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Chadwick Folding Bass! A real bass, set up the way you want, under 50 pounds, looks like a large suitcase. Occasionally, they will even check it as baggage and not charge you. There is a hybrid version now that bows even easier.
    Home - The Chadwick Folding Bass

6. Merchant Vertical Bass. I have one I’d sell if you’re anywhere near New York.

7. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Volante has the closest to acoustic I've heard.

8. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri

There are some considerations with EUB since you will be using the bass for primarilary for arco. Most EUB’s aren’t particularly good at reproducing a decent bowed sound. They also don’t ballance as well to play with a bow. You should try to test drive a Kolstine Busetto Travel bass. They sound like a bass and can be purchased with a removable neck. You can request different neck lengths.
    Just my take.

9. 1975Bassist

1975Bassist Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2018
    Guys, what is your opinion of the YAMAHA EUB's Silent Series. My newly appointed bass teacher mentioned that if I was interested in learning to play an EUB, I should go with one of the Yamaha's. His opinion was that the neck felt the best one he has tried and has a very similar feel to a regular DB.

10. Ludwig

Ludwig

Aug 17, 2006
    Germany
    As far as I know, the Yamaha SLBs come only with soft bags. If you need to fly with them,you have to get a hard bag somewhere to protect the instrument from rough handling. Shorter then an acoustic bass with very smallbody, but no removeable neck. Don't own one myself and have not heard others about their flying experience with the instrument.

11. LaFaro01

LaFaro01

Aug 27, 2018
    I'm not sure, if there is any possibility to check it out in the US, but the "best" EUB (=means nearest to an real doublebass) I ever checked out is the Semi from Heiner Windelband in Germany
    semi1.