electric upright recommendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by g0dswilll, Mar 20, 2002.

1. g0dswilll

Mar 19, 2002

do any of you have recommendations on electric uprights?

if so, can you tell me why you recommend it.

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
  3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, I just bought one last week - so I can tell you what I got and the reasons why!

I got the Ned Steinberger CR5 and my reasons are as follows :

1. I like the sound - especially the sound with just the piezo pickups and I found that raising the bridge (very easy) makes for more of an acoustic DB feel and sound.

2. It is very compact and easy to transport, plus I can use the same amp setup I have for BG and it sounds great - just plug in and go! It is great in this respect in terms of convenience - I have met a lot of DB players who have had problems with amplification - feedback if you turn up and nasty sounds coming out their amps. The CR5 sounds very clear and noise-free without the need for any tweaking.

3. For someone coming from BG it is very easy to play and get a sound out of very quickly. So - it's not that hard physically - easy to access all the fingerboard (nothing in the way) and not as hard to hold down the strings as al the acousic DBs I've tried. Also it has handy dot markers on the fingerboard which are extremely useful for me! ;)

4. These basses are widely available at shops, so I was able to try several examples with various string/pickup configurations and buy safe in the knowledge that I could go back to the shop if I experienced any problems. I was also able to buy using interest-free credit! ;)

5. It was in my price-range!
  4. I recommend you get a real DB.:cool:
  5. g0dswilll

Mar 19, 2002
    i would get a real one, but in know i'll be playing in quite loud "rock" situations and i don't ever want feedback to be an issue.

thanks though
  6. I have played the DB in very loud situations such as capacity clubs, 300 people (elbow to elbow) with only my 410. With proper eq, you can put a halter on feedback.

Now, whats your next reason? :D

by the way...I like your TB handle
  7. g0dswilll

Mar 19, 2002
    hmmm, good question

tell me all about your setup...

equipment & prices & all

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I just want to see your bass with a halter top...
  9. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
  10. basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    hmm.. at least it's tasteful :D
  11. Bruce Lindfield

Ha! I see you already got into trouble for making "improper" suggestions like this over in "Misc BG" !! :D

You're going to get a reputation as a troublemaker if you're not careful! ;)
  12. I try...:D

...its obvious some of them could use a little culture.
  13. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
  14. :D

Is that the "Strad" everyone is looking for?
  15. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    And the title of this thread is.......?

Due to a complaint (admittedly, a somewhat nitpicky one) about the direction this thread is heading, may I respectfully suggest that we steer it back on topic?

No rotten vegetables, please - I'm just doing my job. It's why they pay me the big bucks.

...yeah, right... :rolleyes:

Peace. :cool:
  16. Bruce Lindfield

I think that this is the reason that both Gard and I have bought an NS EUB. I play in a large Latin band - 5-piece horn section and 3 percussionists - it all gets very loud and the original bass player I took over from, had given up on getting his DB to compete against this, although I think he was in the group because he was the only DB'er they knew - sort of ironic - he was "forced to play a P Bass! :D

There - is that back on topic enough? ;)