Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electric upright

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by woodster, May 2, 2004.

1. woodster

woodster

Apr 24, 2004
    Hey guys,i`m an ex-upright player looking to purchase one of those elect-upright.Need advice on best one to buy,sound,string spaceing:etc. :bag:

2. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Hi:
    I've got the Knutson Messenger bass. Just used it on two club dates this weekend where space was an issue. I bought mine about 12 years ago so John Knutson has tweaked the electronics and pickups quite a bit. I've been extremely happy with it. I've traveled pretty extensively with it and he now offers the SKB carrying case (kind of like a big golf bag on wheels) which I recently bought and took to Europe. It's a very dependable case.

If you wanted something closer to the upright and less stick-bassy you could check out the Eminence which is supposed to be terrific. I'd talk to Bob Gollihur if I were you because he is a dealer and I've bought speakers, cables, upright bag from him and he is always EXTREMELY helpful and professional. He could probably answer most questions you have.

3. phlybass

phlybass

Dec 18, 2003
    Hi Woodster,

I've been using a NS CR5M EUB since Thanksgiving. I had been playing as little BG with the combo and big band here at the local college and got the upright itch.

I am very pleased with the NS EUB. I started out playing it backing up a vocalist who plays guitar also. It's a very "unplugged" type gig in the lobby lounge of a local Marriott. I'm using an Acoustic Image Contra II amp.
    Using the bridge pickup only in the "both" position gives a nice almost acoustic timbre with Superflexibles.

The same setup also drove the college Big Band this spring semester.

I've ordered an AcmeBass B1 cabinet to use as an extension speaker for gigs when I may need to move more air.

Regards, Alex

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I have a knutson as well - made in 1997 and one of three leftys.

this bass works great for me; yeah it's not the big bass, but i could care less at this point, i have to double on electric at all gigs, so my little Mitsu Galant doesn't get too pissed.

getting back to the bass:

it has 41.5" scale, an adjustable bridge and a whole lotta tone for a popsicle! www.messengerbass.com

if you have questions, please feel free to PM me.

BTW, if you happen to go with the messenger, get in touch with abaguer so he can refer you to john knutson (i bought mine second hand).

:)

5. abaguer

abaguer

Nov 27, 2001
    Milford, NJ
    Woodster, the NS bass is a great bass as well. I played one at Tony Cimorosi's and it sounds great.

Alex, I love the Acme B1 for upright. You'll probably really dig it.

6. phlybass

phlybass

Dec 18, 2003
    Hi Abaguer!

Thanks fot the input re. the B1. Looking forward to receiving it and then getting up the courage to take the Acoustic out on a gig sometime.

Practice, Practice Practice!!!

Regards, Alex

7. woodster

woodster

Apr 24, 2004
    THANKS abaguer and to all for your advice.

It be like it was :bag:

8. i've been looking into getting an Ergo 5 string....I really want an URB but space on the van/trailer is limited to our already overflowing equipment...so this 15lb EUB seems to be the ticket...it's VERY affordable and sounds great, it's fully bowable,uses the realist style pickup under the bridge, it's full 3/4 (42") scale,and you can use any type of string on it....

if you're interested in hearing a soundclip, let me know because another TB'er passed one along to me.

9. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I'd be interested in a clip.

10. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Did you get it? Like it? Forward the clip please: loshbaugha@missouri.edu
    Thanks!

11. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    Has anyone tried the Dean "Pace" just out? :confused:

12. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    That bass dosent have the right spec's. It not really a EUB at all, its more of a BG (Or slab as you call it)

13. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
  14. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    another "Ergo" vote here...i'm on my second...

15. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    There's a clip of Gregory Bruce Campbell playing an ergo semi-solo on the web: http://student-kmt.hku.nl/~sander5/bas/listen.htm

He makes it sound like a weird fretless, but I'm going to assume this is because of the amp he's using and maybe some FX.

16. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    yeah, you have to EQ the thing.

17. I use a Kydd bass with my big band, it sounds great and fits in a guitar case, not b.g. Extremely portable. Its got about the same scale as an electric so you have more flexibility about fingerings too.The thing sounds very poor bowed, but if you needed to use the bow you woudn't be getting an EUB. www.kyddbass.com

18. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    Why would you assume that?

19. Well I suppose I shouldnt assume hes not going to bow. I was just thinking that if you were going to primarily be bowing you would get something that can resonate a bit more than an EUB. Just my train of though.

20. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Oh, you can bow on a EUB aright. I can truly say the I get the same gritty spiro arco [if not a little clearer, but is much dryer; thank goodness for reverb] sound on my EUB as with my DB with the same pickup, through my amp.