1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Electric Upright

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by coqui30, May 4, 2006.

1. coqui30

coqui30

Feb 22, 2006
    Hello fellow DBs,

On April of 2005 I ordered what I thought would be my dream Electric Fiberglass Upright from a luthier that makes both Fiberglass and Wood Baby basses. I will not mention names but he is one of 2 luthiers that makes them and he doesn't work out of California but on a little Island south of Florida and its not Cuba.
    This bass took him 8 months to make instead of the 4 week turnaround he advertizes on his website. When I got the bass(the box he shipped it in was scary) I was highly disappointed. Here is what I found: A paint job that was not very good, a finger board that looks like he ran out of ebony dye, a neck that felt like peach fuzz from not being sanded correctly, rough peg-head slots, sizeable gaps between the fingerboard and neck joint, misaligned neck, and many more flaws.
    In short a sloppy job. I paid a lot of money for this bass. I sent him the neck so he could fix the problem and he sent it back the same. I paid about $500 in shipping for the 2 times I shipped it. I had to send it back for a refund(he deducted $225). If you plan to purchase one of these basses, save your money and pay a little more money for a quality bass from Azola. I owned a wood one and I'm sorry I sold it. Don't let this happen to you.