electric UR - suggestions

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Elf2112, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Elf2112

Aug 22, 2003
    Hi all, I am an electric bass player of almost 20 years and would like some suggestions for an electric upright/double/standup bass. Most of our stuff is funk with a bit of blues, hence the electric for slap, but some of our stuff is similar in style to Rockabilly and we have some more acoustic songs that I think would just completely fill out with a more double bass sound.

I would like to stay electric, but would like a decently priced bass that does come somewhat close to a true sound. I have heard good things about the floating top bugbass and the Steinberg, but would like to hear your suggestions.

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I have a similar situation. Been an electric player for 25 years, played a lot of jazz gigs but never learned upright. Today I just ordered a Messenger built by John Knutson. It'll be ready in 4 to 6 weeks. It seems to be the best on the market for coming as close as possible in both sound and feel. I ordered the DLX model which is about $3000, but the elctronics in this model are the best on the market and well worth the bread.

3. songdog

Oct 9, 2003
    I have a couple of acoutic uprights and the steinberger that I have really does not replicate the sound of an acoustic upright unless you have really good eq and a great mix. Then you can get close to the sound of an amplified acoustic upright. I have heard acoustic bass played at festivals along side eub's and it would be hard to distinguish between the two if you had to guess which one was which. It really makes a difference only if one is playing the acoustic unamplified in my humble opinion. Later Gator
  4. Mike Carr

Mike Carr

Feb 5, 2002
    Hong Kong
    I'm very happy with my Eminence EUB.
    I bought it in Feb. this year to replace a John Carruthers EUB that I had used since 1995.
    Since the Eminence has a hollow body, it sounds a lot better to me than the Carruthers, or many of the other "pogo stick" like basses that are around.
    I've used this bass a lot since getting it and I really like it.
  5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    My Azola Bugbass sounds astoundingly acoustic when set up right.
  6. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Like Marcus said, the setup is very important to get an acoustic-like tone.
    For the matter, I play a Carruthers SUB-1 which, by the way, has a mini acoustic chamber under the bridge area. The bridge is also resting on two floating tone bars.
    The most important changes I did to the instrument to make it sound more natural were to get the fingerboard scoop shaped correctly, and put orchestral strings on it.
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree - the sound of my NS CR5 changed dramatically when I put on those Pirastro orchestral strings!!

I was also able to play several NS basses in a London shop and it was quite clear that the higher the action, the more it sounded like DB.

I have also found that the way you play, has a big impact - use DB technique and play the sort of things a DB player would - the more it sounds like DB!! But - play a Jaco solo, using BG techniques and it's immediately obvious that it's not a DB!! ;)

I think the thing that eventually decided me - was just availability - I could have spent another 18 months trying to get to play or buy other types of EUB - but in the end I just wanted to get started and I have had a great deal of fun out of playing the Steinberg NSCR5 and loads of comments about how great it sounds or how suprisingly like a DB, from Jazz players...

In the same period - I have seen no other EUBs that I could have actually bought... :meh:
  8. Johnny L

Johnny L

Feb 14, 2002
    Victoria, TX
    Check out Buster Williams doing a demo on an Italian EUB (Alter-Ego) and see if you can tell the difference between it and an amplified acoustic doublebass. I'm impressed...

Yeah, I'm window-shopping too.
  9. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    I just a recently bought a new bass that fits your criteria. It is a Rob Allen fretless 5 string.

I haved played the electric bass and the double bass for over 30 years and until now have not heard a bass guitar that sounds like this instrument. It is warm, thumpy, sweet, and deep sounding. In the middle and low register you would swear you are hearing an amplified upright bass.

Instead of going into detail I will just supply the link to his site.

Be sure to listen to the audio demo. I promise you will impressed.
  10. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
  11. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    If you're going to get into rockabilly, make sure whatever you get has a floating top - the solidbody EUBs, IMO, sustain too much to get the short-decay rockabilly sound. The Eminence and Azola Floating Top models are probably your best bet.