1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electric Weed Whacker Repair

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DerHoggz, Jun 4, 2014.

1. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Where do you get this done?

2. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Unless it's a very expensive one then It's probably cheaper to just buy a new one. What's actually wrong with yours?

3. wild4oldcars

wild4oldcars

Jan 22, 2012
    Garner, NC
    I would call local hardware stores/tractor supply stores/agri supply stores. They'd probably have better answers than we do.

4StringAxe likes this.
  4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I just bought mine a couple months ago, so it hasn't had time to break. If it does, I'll search the internet for someone else who fixed the same problem I would be having. If no one else had the same issue, I would then contact the place I bought it from (Home Depot in my case). If that is not an option, then I would contact the manufacturer. I'm fairly confident one of those three options would get me the resolution I need.

-Mike

5. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I'm pretty sure it is just some generic garbage from Walmart. No idea what is wrong other than "it doesn't work" as per my brother who used it, so anything could have been wrong. My family runs on the ethos of "Buy cheap poopie, break it, and expect DerHoggz to fix it." I can but that doesn't mean it is worth it.

6. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Depends on whether the problem is electric, tangled line, or what. Probably more expensive to fix, since a cheap one is probably 30 bucks new.

7. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I've determined it is somewhere between the switch and trimmer head, assuming the charger works.

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Can you trace the wire to see if there are any shorts?

9. sowilson

sowilson

Jul 5, 2013
    If it wasn't purchased from a shop with a service department then you'll probably want to toss it. My garden tractor is a John Deere that my dad purchased from a JD dealer 20 years ago (it still works, parts are still available, and I do almost all of the work on it). My yard tools are Stihl and gas (very easy to service and parts are available) and my cheap snow blower is a Craftsman (and parts are still available for it). The stuff I've purchased from Home Depot is in the landfill - no parts, no place to get service.

10. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    It's the battery, works when plugged in, not when unplugged. Charging light immediately says charged when plugged in. Now I get to open it and meet all the fun spiders!

11. DerHoggz

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    I know, my family doesn't get it though.

12. AGH

AGH

Jun 18, 2013
    Long Island NY
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
    Try your local vacuum cleaner repair guy. I spent years as a vacuum cleaner guy. You'd be amazed at the non vacuum cleaner things were brought into my shop and repaired.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I can see it now. DerHoggz takes his electric weed whacker to the local vacuum cleaner repair shop in his town and it goes like this....
    DerHoggz: Hello, I'd like some help repairing this weed whacker.
    Vacuum Cleaner Repair Shop Guy: Sorry sir, but this is a vacuum cleaner repair shop.
    DerHoggz: I know, but this guy on the internet, his name is AGH, told me you all fix non vacuum cleaner things too. Do you know AGH? Does he work here?
    Vacuum Cleaner Repair Shop Guy: I have no idea who AGH is. What are you talking about?
    DerHoggz: Here, let me pull up the thread from TalkBass.com on my mobile device and show you where AGH suggested I come see you.
    Vacuum Cleaner Repair Shop Guy: Sir, I think it's time for you, your electric weed whacker, and your TalkBass.com thread to leave.
    DerHoggz returns to TBOT later that night to ragequit after receiving bad advice from AGH.

-Mike

14. AGH

AGH

Jun 18, 2013
    Long Island NY
    All of the stuff I got for free wore out!
    I think my actual 15 years spent as a vacuum cleaner repairman actually speak for the real experience of working in a vacuum shop. Yes, we worked on vacuums, but we also regularly fixed small appliances, sewing machines, rewired lamps, and basically fixed anything electrical that was brought to us. I would have gladly taken this weed wacker and given a free price quote on repair.

15. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I had one blow up years ago. It was a rectifier diode. Maybe an hour of time and a $0.30 diode.

Yep..... I'm still talkin about it.

AGH likes this.
  16. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Battery is probably just plain dead. It will show sufficient voltage but contain no appreciable amount of charge. Is it NiCd?