1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electrical Grounding Issues, Causing Hum Through Amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassBeginer64, Aug 12, 2019.

1. BassBeginer64

BassBeginer64 Supporting Member

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Just moved in a new home that was remodeled , and is great, But I do not think they up graded the electrical here, Plugged in my Steamline 900 and nothing but buzz through my my bass, changed plugs , cables outlets throughout the house , tried 6 of my bass's all have Grounded shielding in them, even plugged in my Rumble 100 spare amp with the same problem, Looks like a I will need a Ground Filter but which one is worth a darn?
    Looking at this Ebtech one
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...E4YI8&linkId=cfa3398118dd5c7bca9467e682078ab8
    And also this one with more outlets
    https://www.amazon.com/AC-Power-Filter-Conditioner-Protector/dp/B00XWL2VVK
    and this one too
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003PJ6NP...colid=GUQE9463SII4&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Please list one that any other member have used for this problem.

Thank You

2. Did you use different cables to go from just the Bass to the Amp?

If it is your electrical call in an Electrician, this is a problem that those devices will not take care of.

BassmanPaul and agedhorse like this.
  3. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Yes used 4 different cables, yeah I am thinking that is what I need to do, damn that hum is worse through a tube amp than the solid state amps.......GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

4. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Try your amps in another location just to verify that it's your. Ew location. If it is your electrical system, please get the system fixed correctly. Those half-assed power ground devices are not a good solution to a dangerous problem.

5. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Tried 3 rooms so far and 8 outlets

6. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    I just bought a ground fault tester, going to go through the house and check all grounds, and look into getting an electrician soon

AudioTaper likes this.
  7. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    Look for any Light Dimmers on the walls... These can sometimes make lots of noise in the electrical mains...

8. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Different location, not different room or receptacle. For example, if the service is not properly bonded to the grounding system, I would expect all receptacles to exhibit the same symptoms.

The little testers do NOT identify a couple of mis-wiring faults that are the most common causes of your symptoms. If the amps are quiet in another location, you really do need a qualified electrician to look at your electrical system to see if there is something they can identify as being improper.

Note that your audio noise may be a symptom of a more dangerous situation, that's why I think it's important.

9. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Hooked up a trip Light UPS , help big time but still hear hum , not as loud, then went to another receptacle in the room and still a hum, but wait I went all Dr Science here I changed from my Planet Wave Cables to my cheap E Bay Cables and yes a hum, but these cables have no coating on the plugs like Planet Wave one have, so I just touched it, Hum gone, just stopped when my paws touched the outer part of the plug, so yeah its a ground issue.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Did your amps hum with no bass/cable plugged into them? I thought you tried that but maybe not.

If the amps do not hum this way, that means that the noise is entering through the signal side and not the power side.

The symptoms (if the above is correct) would indicate that the ground between the jack and the bridge is not properly connected (unlikely on 6 basses) or the cable itself is defective.

This is a good example of why all of the details are important when troubleshooting a problem.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  11. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Yes the hum occurs only when a cable with or without a bass is plugged in, and I tried 4 different cables ?
    Also what is max amp pull @110v with a Streamline 900 at 4 or 8 ohms?

12. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Is there a 25KV distribution line in somewhat close proximity to your house? Do you happen to have a STEEL ROOF ??

I have this situation, and the electromagnetic noise (gauss) levels measure three times higher than 'normal' ( still within legal limits, but high enough that they swamp EVERY magnetic pickup in my house .. I had to buy a Lightwave - optical pickup system - bass to solve it!)

13. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    This house is loaded with GFCI outlets, wonder if one of those could be a culprit? counted like 10 of them in this inside and outside the house.

14. BassBeginer64

Aug 6, 2018
    Riverside Ca
    Nope! But there is a but load of LED Lights inserted in the ceilings throughout the house, every room has 4 to 6 in each room

15. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Is there a subpanel in the house somewhere? If someone bonded the neutral in a subpanel, it could create a nasty ground loop (potentially very dangerous, actually...)

Skillet and john m like this.
  16. SteveIII

SteveIII

Jul 11, 2019
    Ontario
    All led for sure? No florescent? Second on the dimmer thing especially with led.
    Single coils or humbuckers?
    Multiple pickups? In phase or out?
    Have you tried in the dark?
    You could always run a generator or possibly an extension cord from a friendly neighbor, just run the generator outside! Sorry for the ramble it's early

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    I'd go further. Our house is filled with dimmers, so they're all suspect. Halogen and fluorescent lighting (check under those kitchen cabinets for countertop lighting, etc) all can be a part of this. Our house is wired correctly and fairly newly (only built in 2003 and inspected within the past couple years) and there are times when my very clean system can have some buzz where I have it set up to practice. But if everything is off, there's less or none.

Good advice. I use a wiring tester for live shows because it can prove where there are some major and possibly deadly issues...but it's not a cure all.

18. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Ok, this almost 100% removed the amp from the list of problems. It also removes the noise entering through the power system too. This leaves radiated noise as the likely source.

The Streamliner's average current draw is less than 2 amps, maximum is going to be less than 6 amps at 50% duty cycle which is beyond what anybody would ever practically use. It's not going to be a factor in anything.

All amps will have some noise with an unterminated cable plugged in.

Nope, doesn't matter.

LED lights are supposed to be certified for EMI/EMC levels, but experience has shown that many products from China are non-compliant and can be very noisy. Turn off all of the lights and see if it makes a difference. The noise gets picked up by the pickups, the strings an act as an "antenna" of sorts (actymore like a coupling transformer)

Yes, another common cause of noise due to the ground being modulated by the shared neutral current and generating a small voltage.

19. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes. if the LED lamps have a switching power supply, that could be the problem if it is now meeting the noise regulations. Turn off the power supply if you can, some are wired in. See if that helps.

Some LED’s run off of the 120VAC line voltage. If this is the case, there is no power supply.

20. johnson79

johnson79

Jan 8, 2010
    Lancaster, PA
    Some of the cheap LED fixtures can be problematic. We had a builder who swore up and down that the arc fault breakers that they installed were defective since they were nuisance tripping. Turned out it was the cheap-o LED fixtures.

On another note, my bass and amp were making some crazy noises once. Turned out that the TV plugged in and on mute was the culprit.