Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electrical grounding question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Danham, Nov 29, 2003.


  1. Danham

    Danham Guest

    Feb 11, 2003
    Shreveport LA
    I got a problem. I live in a very old house (built in late 1800's) that used to belong to my great grandmother. All the plugs are two prong. I got some of those 3 prong adaptors and thought every thing would be fine. I did'nt even screw the the mounting screws through the metal loop like the adaptors say right on them (I'm lazy). Everything was fine then my bass started shocking me. So then I put the mounting screws through the metal loops and everything was fine. No more shocks since. But now I got a problem with amp hiss and I notice it goes away when I touch a metal part of the bass like a string or knob. So it's definitely a grounding issue. So I got my multi-meter out (I'm an electronics student:rolleyes: ) and tested the continuity to see if the mounting screws were actually acting like grounds. Nope.

    I ass-umed my power strips had chassis grounds and I would be fine but I guess not. Are there any power strips out there that will act as grounds even when plugged into a two prong outlet? Thanks for your help.
     
  2. I don't know anything about US mains distribution systems so can't say. I presume, though, that your old 2 pin system is now replaced with a 3 pin system which comprises something like we have in UK: live, neutral and earth.

    Modern 3 pin adaptors won't provide an earth because there's no earth for them to pick up from the outlet on the wall. And, worse than that, it's likely from what you've said that chassis work on any appliance could be live. That's because the insulation on the house wiring has deteriorated and somewhere the live is touching metalwork (say, conduit in the walls or whatever).

    IMHO, you should contact a few good electricians to get quotes for a complete rewire of your house. I'd see that as the only realistic way of preventing you electrocuting yourself / others.

    I suggest you do it NOW.

    John