1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Electrical noise and weak string on new guitar

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by rtech, Jul 26, 2012.

1. rtech

rtech

Jul 26, 2012
    I just got a Yamaha RBX374 and it's great but there's two issues with it that I'm wondering about.

The first is an electrical buzzing noise that occurs when I'm not touching any of the hardware. The buzzing stops when I touch a string or knob. Also it seems to only happen when the front pickup is engaged via the pickup mix knob. (I'm new to bass guitar so my terminology might not be right).

The second is that the second lowest string doesn't sound right compared to the others. It sound weaker, and the character doesn't match up well with the lowest (frequency) string playing the same note. The two higher strings also seem to play better and sound fuller than this bad one.

Are these things that can be easily fixed or is it worth returning the guitar for the same model but one that hopefully works? I watched a tutorial about copper foiling the inside to get rid of the buzz but I don't think that would be easy for me to do on this guitar myself. It's actually the string that worries me more though. Again, I'm new to bass guitar so any info will help.