Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electrical tape/sellotape

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by anonymous278347457, Mar 1, 2006.

1. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    I keep getting a clicking sound from my pups and i dont like lowering them. SO it means that i need to cover the pole pieces. Ive tried covering them with tape. for certain pieces i need 2 layers of tape.

this is ordinary sellotape(whatever your call it), its the clear stuff. Ive done a search and people have said to use "electrical tape".

what is electrical tape? is it ok to use normal clear tape.

and can you get pickup covers that dont show pole pieces? I mean the black covers. not actual pickups.

2. Electrical tape is black vinyl adhesive-backed tape that electricians use, hence the name. It should be near the electrical supplies in any hardware store. What's nice about it is that it can be removed fairly easily and not leave a lot of residue; the same cannot be said for your sellotape ('scotch tape' over here). Plus its a bit thicker and made ov vinyl, so it has a little stretch and cushion to it. clear tape won't harm anything electronically, it'll just be harder to get off when and if the time ever comes.

Yep, there are pickup covers out there that will cover the pole pieces, basspartsresource.com sells them, but wether or not they will fit your pickups is the real question.

Really if it were me, I would lower the pickups a little bit and focus on playing with a bit lighter touch.