Electricians Have your input Kid in Trouble!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by flea claypool, Oct 3, 2005.

1. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004

so in 7 months im free of schoool!! :) :bassist: :)

and i dont want to go to college as i want to be a electrician[well thats the plan].... is anyone here a sparky?? can you give me some advive/feedback/ ups and downs of the job...

this is probaly my most desperate thread!! :crying:

need career advice!!
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I was once an electrical apprentice...ASSUME NOTHING!

I briefly had the nickname of 'Arc'. Why? 'Cause my co-worker said, "OK, power's off" & so I cut the cable...thank God it was low voltage(nice arc, though).

Another time, I assumed everyone followed the same color code...wrong.
    (My arm ached for a couple days after that one. Not good).

I can also tell you the story about the 1st electricain I was assigned to...in short, he had lost most of his right arm-he was drilling into a wall with a hammer drill & hit some buss work; he said the last thing he remembered seeing was his hand exploding(the electricity's path continued thru his body until it ripped a hole out near his abdomen).

Did I get your attention?
    Good. Be safe, be aware.
    Don't assume & take the time to pull out & use your known-to-be-good VOM.
  3. jgsbass

May 28, 2003
    Floral Park, NY
    I hope you realize that to make any real money as an electrician you have to be licensed by either a state, city or municipality. Trade school ( oops, there's the S word) is a worthwhile investment. There's a huge difference between what you make as the guy that does the bid on a job and the lackey who lays cable, off the books with no benefits. Most big cities have unions where the members get a hefty minimum and health and pension benefits, but that is one of the toughest situations to get into.
  4. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    ya i would be doin a national trade cert which is the main recognition of the state over in good old ireland!!...

so if im not safe i lose limbs.... oh god
  5. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    I could be wrong..... certainly have been before.....

But if you do have the opportunity to go to college..... and don't..... my gut tells me you may regret this statement one day...... :(
  6. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    In my expirience if you go to college before you are ready to, you will regret it. College is a lot of work and takes an enourmous comittment to get anything out of. Sure you can go, do very little work, take the easiest classes possible and skate through 4 years drinking and chasing girls, but eventually you'll graduate knowing little more than you did after High School and now having a full plate of student loans to pay off.

If you don't want to go to college now, don't. Colleges will still be there later on when you are ready to put in the effort it takes to excel. If you want to be an electrician do a trade school/apprenticeship route and get into the trade as soon as possible. You may decide its no for you after a time and go to college for something completely different, or you might get hooked and decide to get a degree in EE or who knows what else.

Life is full of options, and more than one of them is right.

Edit: One more thing, you know those grounding strips you wear when working on sensitive computer equipment to keep from trashing it with static? Don't plug those in while wearing them. Trust me.
  7. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I think there is merit to what you are saying, but I'd like to throw something else into the mix, purely for the sake of consideration - if you put off going to college and get wrapped up in a full time job, maybe a wife or somethin, how likely do you think it is that you'll do the whole "Go back to school" schpiel? I know people do it, but it seems like it's really hard to do once you've established a "life" as it were.
  8. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Well, as I said, I could be wrong.

But I happen to be an EE, and find myself working with electricians quite a lot. And I've had the following conversation about, oh, 200 times:

Electrician: "Do you have a degree in engineering? From a college?"

Me: "Yes."

Electrician: "I wish I had done that when I was younger...."

Maybe Flea will have a different take on it 15 years hence. Maybe he's the type that will prefer working "in the field" for his entire career.

But *now* is the time to think HARD, and make that decision. Once you get started down a certain path, it's not always easy to back up and reboot.
  9. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca

good thing gard wasn't there to see it; otherwise, you'd NEVER hear the end of it! :mad:

10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I agree with this one.

I myself would have gained alot by taking a year or two off from school so I can get some focus. I went into college with a world of opportunities, but no idea which ones to follow. A year or two in the real world would have helped me to define what I wanted to do, and what I didn't.

Now I had fun during undergrad, and have very little regret. I got me an decent education, but when I was done I still didn't have focus.

When I went back to school years later, after life in the real world, I was a much better student with more discipline and focus.

But in the long run, I'm working in a field that I didn't go college for. So go figure...

You're young so explore, make mistakes (non-lethal ones) and find out what you want to do (or don't). Exploring and making mistakes have a higher cost as you get older.
  11. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    no see the national trade cert is a college... on the job off the job kinda basis... i just meant that i dont wanna go to college full time like on a arts course ect... but the trade cert is the ONLY way of becoming a electrician... so yes im goin to college sorry... well kinda!!
    cheers guys!
  12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Plumbers make real good $ too. IDK about Ireland, but in the US they make a killing.

There was a point where I was considering giving up my career in graphic design to become a licensed plumber, because I was having such a hard time finding consistant work.

I still think its a good idea for a side job.
  13. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I was told from birth that I would be going to college after HS and get a degree so I could make oogles of money. I was burned out of academics by the time I graduated HS (honor roll 9-11, barely passed 12). Flunked out of college 4 times because they were basically sending me through a condensed version of HS again. Took a year off. Enrolled in technical college where there is no homework and they only teach you the stuff you need to put food on your table. I will have my electronics degree soon. :D
  14. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    I'm an electrician.
    Florida State Licensed Master Electrician actually.
    I've also been a computer systems administrator...paramedic...and professional musician....

Want some advice?

The building trades are on the bleeding edge of the economy...one point change in the prime lending rate, you're out of work....weather gets cold...like around christmas time...building slows down to nothing. Christmas is a lousy time to be unemployed.

A bathroom with running water is a luxury.... A sandwich at lunch without dirt in it is a gift from god...it's dangerous....the people you work with or around by and large are not the cream of society...musicians get a bad rap for drugs but the drug problem in the trades is far worse (in MY experience only please). A stoned musician can be annoying but a stoned block mason will drop something on your head and kill you...electricians are the lowest paid trade on the job and have the most to learn and keep up with.... I know concrete finisheres that make 50% more than I do and they can't even spell concrete.If you choose to go into business for yourself...expect to work at a 3% profit margin.

On the other hand...
    walking steel 35 stories in the air running temp. power is a rush...the pressure is a rush even when everthing you touch goes to hell...and there's nothing like watching the lights come on on a big one that's been breaking your heart for 8 months...

Overall though, stay in school. You can always work the trades. It gets harder and harder to do school as you go through life and pick up responsibilities.

At least that's the way it is in the USA.
  15. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Does Ireland have an Electricians Union? If so, Join It! You'll make better pay....better benefits(insurance)...with safer working conditions...and get some type of retirement plan. Assuming that unions in other countries operate under the same principles as in the USA
  16. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    I'm in no way saying the college is a bad idea, only that if a person doesn't really want to do it, they will usually find themselves making a hash of it. I really, really wish I'd NOT gone to college back when I was 17. I wasn't ready for it, didn't know what I really wanted to do or learn, and burned up a lot of cash figuring out what kinds of stuff I didn't like.

I'm in college now, learning stuff I enjoy, and doing well because I am at a point in my life where I have the maturity and discipline to handle it. We all reach this point at different times, and trying to go to school before you reach it is not ultimately in your best interest.
  17. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Those saying that going to college later in life are correct, but there's A LOT of merit in what Tash and Jive have said.

In my subjective experience, I find that non-traditional students are generally harder workers, higher scorers, and more serious students than those fresh out of high school. They definatley appreciate being in college a lot more than the younger ones. I know that I appreciate every day that I get to go to school. I'm a 23 year old sophmore, so I'm in that wierd space of not quite being a traditional student and not quite being a non-traditional student. I'm kicking ass and taking names as far as grades, awards, and career networking go. I wouldn't be doing so well if I went directly after high school. It's not that I lacked the cognitive ability when I was 17/18, but I have a clearer understanding of what I wish to accomplish with my life right now. I've been kicked around a bit by the "real world" so now I work ten times harder to reach my career aspirations. I did go to a crappy technical school after high school (btw, there's nothing wrong with technical/trade schools; I just happened to go to one that wasn't acreditted and has a lousy reputation), and wound up working in IT for a while. I learned that that wasn't for me, so here I am now planning on going to grad school.

I'm not trying to steer Flea in any particular direction, but I was just giving him my experience.