1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

electricity problem with ATK 300?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Luther Blissett, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Hi,

about 10 years ago i bought a new 1996 MIJ ibanez ATK 300. Great Bass, but after a few days the bass was ... dead. No problem, new battery in it, and voila, works perfectly untill after a few days, the battery was dead again. Apparently there was a loss somewhere in the electrical circuit. I brought my bass back to the shop and they would repair it / replace it. Unfortunately, the shop went bankrupt a week later. I managed to get my bass back, but it wasn't repaired. I've contacted Ibanez customers service, but they couldn't help me, since I had to go through my shop, which didn't exist anymore!!!

So my brother just put a switch in between the battery and the rest of the electrical circuitry. It works fine now, I just have to remember to switch it of after i'm done playing.

But I was wondering, anyone else had this problem?

thx,

Luther

2. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    The old ATKs were notorious for bad output jacks - look to see that there isn't an stray connection between any two of the three output leads, causing the battery to be drained all the time. Old Marcus Miller basses had this problem.

I've known at least five owners of the old ATKs who had to replace their output jacks altogether.

3. Pierrot

Pierrot

Jul 19, 2007
    Northern Sweden
    Typically, battery powered circuitry in musical instruments are designed to break the current when the instrument is not plugged in. It sounds like you either don't unplug your bass when you're not playing, or it fails to break the current because of a short circuit or a broken jack. The circuits that break the current are very, very simple (the only components involved are the battery and the output jack), so anyone who knows at least a little bit about electrical circuits should be able to find the cause.

And if indeed your bass does not sport this kind of circuitry, it is easy to add. Actually easier than installing a switch. And much more practical.

*edit: It seems danroche got there before me.

4. You can add me to that list. I didn't experience premature battery drainage. Mine would make a horrendous crackling noise if I accidentally moved the cable at the connection point. Once I replaced it, problem solved.

5. FrigginChris

FrigginChris

Feb 6, 2006
    illinois
    has this problem shown up in any of the new ATKs?

6. wyleeboxer

wyleeboxer Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2005
    Orange County, CA
    I just got last month a new-old 95 ATK, this bass is really like brand new and it still had the crackle jack and of course it showed up to my house with a dead battery. I replaced the jacks on both of my old ATK's and no more problem at all. Not sure about the new ones? but if anyone over at Ibanez has half a brain :eyebrow: Im sure its no longer a problem...

7. ah, why didn't TB exist 11 years ago...

well, the switch is in there now, and I have grown attached to it by now.... I will replace the output jack however

thx for the help!

now if I could only find a use for the switch after I replace the output jack...

8. Pierrot

Pierrot

Jul 19, 2007
    Northern Sweden
    Passive/Active switch perhaps?

9. does that work? won't I need extra /other pickups than the active ones of the ATK (I'm sorry, I'm clueless to guitar electronics)