Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electrix Filter Queen

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mad Subwoofer, Jun 16, 2002.

1. A freind of mine unloaded a free, "beta" version of the Filter Queen on me. IVL is located in my hometown so you find a few "beta's" around the scene here. Anyone us one of these in there rigs? How do you set yours up...? Is noise a factor, like, is it FX loop-able or no?

[​IMG]

2. I have demo'd it and took its big brother on a few gigs a while ago, it should be quite useful for your dub situations. The filter is unusually broad sounding (on both) and less squiltchy than some of the other filters you would come across. To discribe it, it's more of a bubble constaintly expanding and then evaporating into thin air rather then popping open. It sounds incredibly fat and dense, lots of saturation, almost syrupy with plenty of aggression. That makes it great for rock, industrial or metal. The down sides of the filter are the bypass and signal to noise ratio, but the noise wasn't that much of a problem when I tried either of them out. But hands down, it gets the best synth sounds of any filter I've ever heard, set to very low Q and pumping the LFO I could get a throbbing beat wah sound.

3. That's a great review BF, thanks. I know with some noisy boxes a better power supply can sometimes make a difference. Not sure if a higher voltage is a good idea but amperage maybe? I applied GOBS of extra voltage to my old Agent 00Funk and the fidelity expanded enormously...

4. Another pal of mine is now offering me his Factory for $125, do you think I should take him up on it? Maybe the full meal deal would be a better fit for me or does it just have a bunch of unnessacery extra add-ons I'll never use? You think I should go for it or no....?

5. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    That's a great deal for $125!

6. And give the Filter Queen to me! :D

7. Sure..you pay shipping tho'; $125.
    :p

8. You've probably already checked this out, but the electrix site (http://www.electrixpro.com/products/older.html#) has a lot of info about the Filter Queen and Filter Factory. The videos give you a really good idea of their capabilities. It seems that one of the major differences is that the FF has a distortion section which the FQ does not. If I were you, I'd go with the factory (and I just might do that!)

9. Walked in the front door of IVL today and walked out with a *free* power supply for my 'Queen. Those folks were so freindly...! I tried to give 'em cash but they said "just take it!" They still have some 'queens and EQ killer's that they are blowing out for $75 cdn. that's like $45 US or something...wow. They also have Mo-FX and Warp factories for cheap. I think they have to be cleared out soon tho'...
    New Electrix filter is in the works!!!! Coming soon they said...cool or what?

10. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Oooh! I don't suppose they'd sell some of that excess inventory over the phone to a Yank? ;)

11. Probably not....What did you want? I suppose I could score a Filter Queen for you but after shipping, etc. it may not be the biggest deal? Do you want one? I'd do it for you...
    Not sure if their units were new or no? Maybe some old "Beta's" maybe not fully functional but still sounding great!

12. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    Hmmm... on second thought, I'd better hold off... too many recent purchases :D... thanks for the offer, though!

13. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Mad Sub, I may want you to do this for me... a few questions though:

-if there is a way, will you describe the sound?
    -will it accept instrument level signal?
    -how big is it?

Thanks

14. Check out the photo at the top of the thread; it is a half rack space. All the specs and everything are here; http://www.electrixpro.com/products/older.html#
    These guys have posted some informative opinions on the differences between the Factory and the 'Queen so re-read those. Loads of folks just plug their basses directly into them for sure...

15. You wouldn't happen to mind getting one for me, would you? I was going to bid on one at ebay, but it ended up going for $135! So at this point, anything under $100 would be a steal.

16. Doh! Sorry for the delay, I'm still kicking myself for not buying one for $90 when I had the chance you should jump on the chance if you want, I really miss my vocoder too, that thing really kicked arse... but it looks like the question has been answered, sorry again for the slow response. :oops:

17. ...I thought I'd add somethings in, it's more of a doctoring filter then a stand alone envelope filter... to make it more useful towards synthesizers (that usually have an amp built in) there's no real amp going into the filter so you're really just stuck with the follower, but that can be very good because it has no mode for the filter (i.e. no down or up modes) but it still gets great 70's shaft sounds (ripping off Ibanez's lingo :rolleyes: ) It also gets very cool dub sounds. More importantly it would be great for bringing in some life back into your G5 imo.

18. Good tips BF, thanks. Your reviews are very helpful. You wouldn't want a Filter Queen for cheap would you? I may buy up a few locally and sell em...?
    I like the band selector as well as the LP,BP< HP and notch options...I have just recently been turned on by the notch option. I could never tell what it was doing on my Mutron III+ until I ran it thru a drum machine...very cool.

19. Thanks ... and actually, I am. I want to fatten up my EH BMS into a more high-fi sound, I have my eye on this one on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=889302970 but I'm thinking it's a comfy little hoax... depending on how much you're selling it for I'd be interesting, I'm really itching to add a new effect perminantly to my rig.

Yeah, that's pretty cool, but the two features I like most about it is the major control over the follower including band issolation and the random mode for the LFO, which gets bleeping sounds you would get from a BOSS PH3 in latch mode but whadda you know, it's analog!

At the very least it's a very colorful filter, actually it's a really odd example but if you want to hear it watch the Power Puff Girls or Samuri Jack... the sound producer for those shows uses them almost religiously. :D :p