Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

electrix filter queen

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jasonbraatz, May 15, 2003.

1. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    just picked one off ebay for $100, should be fun.

i'm wondering if anyone has any experience with these - i'm basically going to be sticking it in my rack, setting it how i like it, and using a footswitch to turn it on and off.

i'm going to be putting it in the effects loop of my preamp, so should i put it before or after the compressor?

2. before the compressor.

3. Yeah, it's all about dynamics when it comes to EV filters, avoid a compressor if at all possible.
    The 'Queen is a wicked fun toy/tool. You can achieve all manner of creepy and wild tones...it's a deep box with many applications. It's rich, fat, corpulent...squelchy; all things a decent analog filter should be. It is however, awful noisy but I have some studio pals who overlook this because of how sweet this box can be. I liked tweaking it for a massive subharmonic boom that you blend in with yer clean signal; voila! Poor man's SF-2. Filters like this can be tricky to set-and-forget for a decent touch-sensitive "mutron" type effect. I prefer simpler designs myself. Fun box. Enjoy.
    video's and info;
    http://www.electrixpro.com/products/filterqueen.html

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I should have one on the way, too. I'll keep things posted here. They look like alot of fun. I did notice some of that noise Mad Sub mentioned when I listened to Electrix's samples. Oh well. Most people wouldn't notice in a live situation, anyways. I've got thier EQ Killer already to match with it. Don't know why, but it should be fun.

5. Oh yeah, don't let the noise thing turn you off; it's a terrific box. I just didn't have the patience for it...like the simpler stuff (Mutron III.)

[​IMG]

6. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    the way i see it, with the money i saved getting this vs. a mutron or moogerfooger, i can definitely spend the time to get the tone dialed in.

7. Yeeeeaaahhh...but a Mutron III or Mooger Fooger have been specifically tailored to make the most of a guitar or bass instrument. True they are flexible tools but they really shine when used in this way. Electrix style units and the more involved filters such as the Chunk Agent00Funk or Frostwave Funk-a-duck are meant to cover a broad range of duties, like what you might need in a studio environment. A PA will reproduce your bass signal clearly, cleanly and with some work a bit of "tone" but you're better off just plugging into a bass-specific head. I scored just about every filter I could get my mitts on and was a little surprised at how many of the "higher end" top shelf units I couldn't connect with. i sold my 'Queen upon realizing the Mutron to be the more practical in application. No Mutron III sounds in the 'Queen, loads of others of course!
    I really dig the Electrix....just that my Mutron takes me where I need to go a whole lot faster.
    Mine;
    [​IMG]

8. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i just got it, and within 5 minutes of playing got THE tone i wanted.

i can get the kind of slurpy tone my moogerfooger could get, but it's got that release knob so i could 'fix' what i didn't like about the moogerfooger. (released weird, IMO) the resonance isn't as crazy but that's ok.

i like it a whole bunch, ESPECIALLY for 100 bucks :D i've never tried a mutron, and i'm sure it's better, but i can't afford spending that kind of cake on an envelope filter. for the amount i'll be using this thing it will get the job done just fine. PLUS i can just stick it in my rack :)

9. Nothing wrong with that!
    :p

So, this is one of the things that ended up bugging me about the "deep" boxes; all those parameters, didn't always feel like the filter was reacting as much to MY playing dynamics, more to it's own agenda (or something?) I just found a box like the Mutron to see more attuned to my playing style. You can get amazing effects with the Electrix but knobs like "attack" and "release" on these filters re-interpret my technique in a way that was just less organic (IMO?) Terrific for dramatic, tweaked out FX of course! Just a different approach.

Yeah, can't beat that. These puppies were a MAJOR deal no doubt!!! Mutron just different, not better. IVL is actually hard at work on an entirely NEW line of units, the only one I know of to be some sorta "take" on the Filter Factory." Those guys are just up the street from me. They said it was going to be a single rack, MIDI....and wouldn't say much else(!) My drummer use a Filter Queen live on stage with his kit for dramatic snare effects. Like this; http://www.electrixpro.com/files/mp3/electrix_fq_snareflyer.mp3 You can hear them all over the Power Puff girls soundtrack as well. At my weblink below, all the "melody" effects (keys, trumpet, etc.) are all filtered with the 'Queen.
    Enjoy!

[​IMG]

10. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    So Jason, what settings are you using to get "THE tone" you wanted? I got mine about a week ago, but haven't been able to spend alot of time with it. I did find a GREAT sound, but I was on an unfamiliar bass and amp, so I don't know how it would have sounded with my rig. I'd probably need a little tweaking, but then one of my idiot friends started twisting the knobs before I could write down the settings I liked. When I find them again, I'll post them, but what are yours?