Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electrix Repeater Loop/Phrase Sampler

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by bearclaw, Mar 23, 2001.

1. bearclaw

bearclaw

Nov 13, 2000
    Does anyone know if the "Electrix" loop/phrase sampler functions like the "Lexicon Jamman"? Could it be used in a live setting for solo bass playing perhaps? Thanks.

2. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    In the May 2001 issue of Guitar Player there's a preview of the new, guitar-optimized version of the Repeater. It can be controlled by a Midi footpedal and store up to 999 loops, each containing 4 tracks which can be individually tweaked. Sounds like you could generate some serious mayhem in a live performance! Boss also has a new Loop Station footpedal that stores up to 5 1/2 minutes of 10 different loops, and Line 6's delay modeler has a looping function. I'm looking to get some looping gear after my Chapman Stick arrives in June but I haven't tried anything besided the JamMan.

3. bearclaw

bearclaw

Nov 13, 2000
    Thanks for the info Winston! Would you happen to know the sampling time-frame for the equipment you mentioned? I need about 45 seconds worth of time. Just out of curiosity, where did you purchase your Chapman Stick? I used to study bass with Nick Beggs while I resided in London. Take care.

4. biscuit

biscuit

Mar 6, 2000
    Virginia, USA
    I use a Boomerang phrase sampler. It is designed for live use and will loop over a minute of music. You can layer as many tracks as you want (but after about 4 tracks the sound quality is degraded). I use it to loop my bass line while I add fills and double-stops during guitar solos and extended jams.

5. winston

winston Supporting Member

May 2, 2000
    Berkeley, CA
    Burcaw-I don't really know anything more specwise about the stuff-I'm still in the "searching for information" stage myself. Go to the Talkbass "Ask the Pros" section and check out the Steve Lawson forum-he does a lot of loop-based playing and could probably help you out with specifics.
    I ordered the Stick directly from Stick Enterprises. It's been more than ten years since I played one (I borrowed one from a friend briefly) and I'm really looking forward to getting my own!