Electro Harmonix 12AY7 Mic Preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BassJunkie730, Aug 27, 2005.

1. BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Has anyone here tried this unit out yet. :hyper:

Can it drive my PLX? It seems to have a TRS 1/4" output with it's own level control. But EHX does not list a slew of specs. I put in an email but I'd thought to check out here as well

I'm looking for something to replace my U5 for gigging (i'd like to keep that little gem at home) and @ $200 - I don't think this new mic pre can be beat. especially if I have separate level controls for the DI and the Line out. And come on it's got TOOBS!

I don't know this could be the next best thing as their Black finger and english muff'n have seemed to really hit the mark with this revamped tube topology. (ah alliteration)

Hell I should just go down to GC and try it out. The line level feature is just too tempting.

2. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Try it! GC's return policy encourages it. If I were you, I find a NOS ay to swap in before you start the 30 day clock.

Unless the PLX has stupid input sensitivity, or the EH has dreadfully low output, things should at least be able to make power.
  3. Ancient bump...

Has anyone tried this pre with bass? I'm considering one for all around use in a home studio.
  4. bassbombs84

Dec 26, 2008
    another ancient bump...... anyone?
  5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I haven't tried it, but the specs currently on their site: http://www.ehx.com/products/12ay7-mic-pre tell us that it will drive almost any power amp. 50 dB gain? Check. +4dBu, with a helpful indicator LED? Check. Balanced output? Check. All good indicators for success with power amps.

However, it does not have an unbalanced high-impedance input, which is what you need to plug a bass into. *cue sad trombone wah-wah-wahhhh sound* In order to use this as a bass preamp, you'd need to also use an external DI box, to balance the signal and lower its impedance.