1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electro Harmonix AC adaptor question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman1185, Oct 18, 2006.

1. I just read in the "Post your pedalboard" thread that EH pedals require a different AC adaptor than most pedals. Is this true? If it is, what is the difference? Can a polarity reverser make a standard AC adaptor work?

2. it depends on which ehx pedal you're talking about. Some of them require 24 volts, some require a special adaptor jack which looks like a mono jack etc.

3. Nils

Nils

Oct 9, 2006
    Stockholm, Sweden
    What you're talking about is probably the actual plug that goes
    into the pedal. It looks like a mono jack, like bassman040 said, and
    so the "standard" boss adaptors won't work. EHX has their own
    adaptors though, so it's no biggie.

4. I've got a Russian Big Muff Pi on the way. What kind of jack does that one have?

5. shooter_mi

shooter_mi

Sep 29, 2005
    Maine
    As far as I know, battery power only on the Russian big muff.

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Battery only on the Russian Muff, or at least until a few years ago, haven't gotten my mitts on one built in the last few years. It can be remedied with a battery clip adapter:
    [​IMG]

The American pedals that require a 9V power source like the Big Muff use a 1/8" mono jack for power. This can also use a standard Boss AC adapter with a 1/8" adapter (just make sure the tip is positive):
    [​IMG]

7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    In addition to tplyon's info... some EH pedals are exceptions to those above rules.

The newest EH pedals from the Nano and XO series (like the Nano Clone, Little Big Muff, Metal Muff, etc.) all use a standard 9V Boss-style plug, so you don't need any special adapter for those. Hassle-free!

Any EH pedals using tubes have their own special 12V adapters (like the English Muff'n and Tube Zipper).

Any extra-large EH pedals (like the Electric Mistress and Bass Micro Synthesizer) tend to use their own special 24V adapters.

8. I own a NYC BassBalls and supposedly it requires a 9v AC adaptor. I got one, plugged it in, and only noise came from the output. I changed the AC adaptor for a DC adaptor and it worked fine!

9. D-Bone

D-Bone

Jul 5, 2006
    It's not just a voltage issue with the EH pedals. I can run 3 Boss Pedals off of one Dan-electro 9V 800 Mw adapter with a daisey-chain plug with no problems. 1 good EH pedal can eat 12 volts @ 1 Amp all by itself.

Yea, adding a battery converter will force it to work, but there's just not enough amperage reserve in one 9V alkiline battery, so you're giong to kill them in a very short amount time. You could run2-4 of them in-line, to get past this. But I'd just use the Wall-Wart and be done with it. YMMV

It's really a small price to pay for great tone.......

10. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    EHX has some of the most quirky and inconsistant designs on the market, but they do make really good sounding stuff. My English Muff'n takes up a lot of real estate on my small pedalboard, and requires a seperate 12V power supply, but it's SOOOO worth it.

11. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Sounds like you were using the wrong kind of adaptor and getting pure AC :eyebrow:

A typical 9V AC adaptor used for battery-operated products will convert the AC voltage to DC voltage. Pure AC = :scowl:

Any regular pedal power supply shouldn't cause that problem. Did you use a generic one?