Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electro Harmonix Bass Microsynth/General Synth Fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Funkzfly, Jun 29, 2005.

1. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    I'm looking for reccomendations for EHX's Bass Microsynth. I've been quite the EHX fanatic in the past (actually, I still am) but I've never had the opportunity to play one for myself...and secondly I'm looking for something that's going to give me that Synthy fuzz sound, 80's styley, but not cheesy and crappy tracking wise. I'd get the Akai Deep Impact, and I keep checking Ebay but they're not readily available. Any ideas/comments appriciated.

2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Howdy, you might want to try searching "microsynth". There's been a ton of discussion about these, so you might find your answers there! Good luck.

3. I love my EHX BassMicroSynth, lots of great sounds, excellent tracking and it sounds like a 'real' analog synth. I am currently using mine recording some Synergy synth stuff one track at a time and using 4, 5 string basses as well as a piccolo bass to get the higher notes the tracking is excellent in all registers. Getting it to track is not any harder than using the right consistant touch and setting the drive right. I also like that the sounds are responsive to pickup changes like neck to bridge and single to hummer.

4. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    I did search around first, but I was kinda looking for a good Synthy fuzz as well, hence the new post.

By the way, I recognise that unshakable love of the Bass Microsynth...hows it going Brad? It's Liam from Active Bass ;)

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Are synths and autowah/filters the same?

6. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    No. Autowahs are basically an automatic wah that 'wahs' (if you will) with every note you play, which generally varies with how hard you pluck. A synthesizer is generally an anolog effect that simulates synthesis on bass. But no double stops.

7. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    kinda. a true synth recognises the note you play and repoduces it via whatever oscilation mechanism it has in the form of your choosing. filters and fuzzes can get close to the sound a synth will make due to the similarity of the waveform, eg square, pulse. a lot of effects incorporate tracking, which is in a similar ilk to a synth in that it involves the recognition of the note (such as octave pedals).

8. Cerpin Taxt

Cerpin Taxt

Jun 12, 2005
    Microsynth = unlimited fun.

If you like to play with out-there sounds, get one of these! :bassist:

9. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Heared Micro synth has bypass problems and also would like to know if it's possible to play two notes same time using micro synth, if those 2 options are ok, probibly will get one soon.

10. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Heared Micro synth has bypass problems and also would like to know if it's possible to play two notes same time using micro synth, if those 2 options are ok, probibly will get one soon.

I hear no on the double stops, but it's the same for most synths. It's a problem that comes with owning one. Doesn't bother me, it's just the general tracking that worries me with Synths. I like to play fast...I also want a Nord Synth. Man, those are the phattest sounding Synths EVER, barring the Moog and the Korg stuff.

11. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i havent used any bass synths that can synthesize more than 1 note at a time. deep impact tracks really well and fast, so does the korg g5. but neither of them as far as im aware is able to properly track more than one note.

12. CallMeBlind

CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    France
    Maybe in this case for me is better to mix fuzz effect with some other like envelope filter? My goal is to get Jamiroquai like sounds.

13. The MicroSynth tracks very well with the sin wave, octave down, and clean guitar oscilators but falls apart with much of the octave up oscilator on double stops.

I just have to say that if you only own one pedal this is a good contender. It has a good built in noise gate which keeps it pretty quiet. It has a "slow gear" like attack control, wicked sin wave fuzz, sub octave down harmonizing for low bass, and the whole thing has a wicked triggerable EQ filter which can be used like a Semi parametric EQ for the Sin wave fuzz.

All in all I think this pedal sounds great by itself but if you pair a SABDDI (or whatever) after it to keep the lows/punch in check you'll have a thick , gnarly fuzz/synth sound.

My 2 cents, which is about 2.5 cents US.

14. Funkzfly

Funkzfly

Jun 15, 2005
    Maybe in this case for me is better to mix fuzz effect with some other like envelope filter? My goal is to get Jamiroquai like sounds.

You won't find a bigger Stuart Zender fan than me dude! Love the guy, check out www.stuartzender.co.uk for his most recent work and a Q&A we all did with him a while ago. Very nice bloke. He used to run his Boss ME-8B for all his fuzz and synth stuff.

But yeh, back to the synth thing. I'd love the Deep Impact, but like I said, every man and his dog has one after Chris Wolstenholme started using one, plus nowadays they're hard to come by. I'm looking more in the way of heavy synth fuzz. Mixing an envelope filter and a fuzz isn't an option, seeing as i already own both and it's not what I'm looking for.

Cheers

15. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The ibanez sb-7 can, although it's obviously not in the same league as the Deep Impact or G5

16. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    really? thats pretty cool i didnt know that. is that because its not really a true synth? kind of a synth sounding filter?

17. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, exactly