Electro-Harmonix Black Finger

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tightbidness, Dec 29, 2003.

1. I did a forum search and didn't come up with much on the Black Finger. Does anyone have experience using one?

I'm looking for a compressor to smooth things out and maybe add a little warmth to my sound. In the past I've owned a DOD something-or-other and Ross clone. Both pedals affected playing dynamics in unnatural ways and produced the seasick sound. Is the Black Finger's compression fairly transparent? Is it a noisy pedal?
  2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

If you are looking for transparent compression, I don't think the Black Finger is what you want. You should check out EBS, Maxon, Carl Martin, BJF, and BlackBox. Go here for more info.

If you want to go rack, try the RNC. Very transparent for little money.
  3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I've heard great things about the BlackFinger in general, if not it's transparency. I use the EBS, and find it very transparent
  4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Russ? Man, does that guy take, like, I mean, uh, hello... what, a year, to... get out a sentence?
  5. Thanks guys. Musictoyz is a helpful site, BFunk. The EBS looks like a good choice. I'll have to see if I can track one down in my area.

Still like to hear from Black Finger owners. . .
  6. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    we just got a Blackfinger at the studio, and WOW! Massive tone! I don't know that I'd call it 'transparent' though- our bassist mainly got it as an effect, and it does that well. Very tube-y sounding. Extremely warm! Round, fat, grind, grit, growl... it does all that beautifully. We've been tracking some demos with it, I'll try to get a few to post as samples. We'll try to reign it in a bit and see if we can get it transparent too.

It's pretty versatile so far, but we've mostly been pursuing it as a flavor of effect. It gives a very meaty, Geddy-ish tone in 'lamp' mode. Really helps cut thru in the mix.
    No extraneous noise that I could perceive.
    Now he wants another for his Chapman Stick!
    I might even try one on my V-drums...

We'll be using it at a radio-broadcast show next week, I'll try to record it then too, and we can see how it sits in a live radio mix.
    SpanishDave likes this.
  7. Cool. I look foward to hearing your samples. All of the Black Finger clips on the E-H Web site are on guitar. Thank you.
  8. Jodaka

Jun 28, 2001
    Riverview, FL
    Thanks for the awesome review SMASH. I've been looking between the Black Finger and the MultiComp. Still undecided, but your review has good info and helps out a lot...

9. Thanks, SMASH. The review and pictures are great. I can't wait to demo one of these.
  10. FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins

I have a few questions. I just got one of these from Music 123 and when I first opened the box it didn't work. I pushed down on the tubes and it worked, but I am not sure if it is working properly. Are the tubes supposed to glow like the do in a poweramp (mine don't)? If the tubes were not working, would the unit work? Can the tubes be changed?

Thanks in advance!

11. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    you stink smash, i'm going to buy one, i've been waiting for something like what you described

minor point but...

is there a crossover for dual band compression for highs and lows?

i cant tell from the eh website
  12. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    thanks for the review too SMASH! as always you are a very thorough reviewer. I'm gonna get one in teh near future too. :bassist:
  13. mike mcd

mike mcd

Dec 11, 2002
    My friends Black Finger is still sitting at my house, he seems to have forgotten about it because it makes so much noise. It seems that anything I read about EH pedals there is always something mentioned about their poor quality control. Is this just my imagination or do they really make such unreliable products?
  14. 4string4ever

4string4ever Guest

Apr 18, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    Had mine for about 2 weeks now. I find it can be set to be completely transparent. Very fat and tube-y, great sound.
  15. FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    I ended up sending mine back. I picked up an ART Levelar on Ebay for 41.00 and it seems to be more what I was looking for.

Thanks for the replies!