Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electro-Harmonix Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Only, Jun 10, 2003.

1. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Low-Frequency Compressor, to be exact.

Anyone use one? Ever see one?

Metal box, three knobs on top, Volume, Tone, and Sustain. Plus a big switch for steppin' on. No external power options. 9-volt batteries only.

They're old. Mid 70s, I think. I found one in my dad's garage and got it fixed up...WOW, cool tone.

Doesn't sound anything like other compressors I've used, but it's super great. My dad called it his "insta-good tone box." Any note I hit becomes super rounded and nice sounding. Takes a lot of sharpness of the initial tone...Which makes slap not sound good, but fingerstyle so so great...

So anyway...Anyone else ever used one of these? This is the only one I've ever seen.

2. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I have the original one i bought new in 1975 or so when i wanted to sound like felix paapalardi from Mountain!:D

To be honest, i was never too impressed by it--i found the sustain feature almost useless. It can boost your signal and you can dial in a pretty good tone, although it's limited in it's range IMO

I used it w/ my '74 p-bass and Acoustic 140 head 106 2x15 bottom, all of which i still have

How are you using it? What did you have to get fixed and who did you get to do it?

I have heard that these are pretty rare--beware--they suck battery's if left on!

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    It's not really a compressor as we know it today, it's more of a bass (EQ) booster.

They also made a cheaper one knob version called either the Mole or Hog's Foot depending on whether you got the "plug into the amp" version or the stomp box.

My old Hog's Foot was an instant dub reggae machine :cool: