1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Electro-Harmonix "HOG" or "POG"???

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jokerjkny, May 2, 2006.

1. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hey all,

i already have EH's bass micro-synth, but would getting either one be a little redundant?

and is it worth going up to the "HOG"? feature set looks ridiculously fun, but is the "POG" a better value?

2. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician.

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    the bass micro synth and the POG/HOG are quite different... either one would be a worthwhile investment, in my opinion.
    now... i haven't heard the HOG on a bass yet... but i own a POG, and it rocks. if the HOG tracks as well as the POG, then i'd say get the HOG. it's got everything the POG has, and more.
    the HOG does have a filter section, which is similar to the micro synth... but it has so much more! the combination of the two will probably kick a$$.

3. You're going to be much better off just adding the POG to your BM-S. The HOG just doesn't track very well with a bass signal, though it's great on guitar. The POG tracks great on bass.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    hmm...

interesting. thx for the heads up!

5. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    +1.
    although i still haven't heard the HOG on bass... i KNOW the POG sounds awesome and tracks perfectly. i'm using it more and more. both as an "effect" and a subtle harmonic booster (which i guess is also an "effect," but whatever.).
    :bassist:

6. have you tried the HOG on bass then?

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i've got the HOG now on "loan" from musiciansfriend, and SF is right. at least at low volumes, i'm not happy w/ the sounds. heck, they seem much too subtle vs. my more bass oriented "bass" micro synth.

real shame, cause i can get some awesomely goofy sounds w/ my guitar rig.

8. I had an opportunity to try one out on bass at a local store that had one in stock. I didn't get to try it with the expression pedal or the footboard controller, but I found that the tracking wasn't as satisfiying as the POG and the filter was voiced too high for bass. It definatly has some cool features, like its hold function and its portamento slides, as well as the whammy-eske pitch bending, but it left me unsatisfied with the sounds. I didn't have that problem with the BM-S or the POG. The one I'm really curious to try out with a bass would be their Bi-Filter. I can't find one locally, and no one here on TB seems to have much experience with it. I'm just hesitant to shell out over $400 if I don't know how it responds to a bass signal. :(

9. hmm yeah thats a pain...its weird too, i mean what the hell is the point of 4 octaves up for anything other than bass?

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    I was reading the manuals for the POG and HOG, and discovered that thee HOG runs on 9VDC, whereas the POG runs on 18VDC. I think that might be the reason (but I don't really know for sure :bag: )

11. I think it's more a matter of design intention. They really designed the HOG around the range of a guitar. Things like the filter's range and the tracking circuitry are dialed in specificly to work well for guitar signals. Who knows, maybe they will decide to develop a bass version at some point like the Micro Synth/ Bass Micro Synth.

12. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/prod...lter-Analog-Dual-Envelope-Follower?sku=181126

five words: Musician's Friend Return Policy, mang.

check it out, and let us know!

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I'm tempted to spring for this HOG. I want that 5th interval. With an exp pedal, it will be like a Super Whammy. Shoot GC has a 30 day return.

14. kidgloves2

kidgloves2

Mar 27, 2006
    This sucks!!!!!! I have been excited about getting a HOG for my bass!! :mad: :spit:

I already had ideas for the freeze function and whammy feature. I just want to sustain a low bass note with freeze and play a line over the top. I emailed Electro Harmonix and they said the HOG is for both guitar and bass. Now you guys are saying it sucks on bass. That makes me so upset. :bawl:

How bad is the tracking? is it worse that a digitech whammy?

15. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I would really love to have presets, that alone makes the price increase of the hog worth it compared to the pog.

If it doesn't track as well thogh......I'm torn.

16. You would probably be better served just getting a Digitech Whammy 4, a POG, and the Bass Micro-Synth. I think the price would be about the same anyway. That way everything would be voiced in a way that's suitable for bass duties.

17. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    So, million dollar question...

Who has soundclips of a POG in action? EHX stuff on their webiste is not particularly a convincing sell. Low bitrate. Weird stuff.

Is this a practical purchase? POG lovers of the world please share some of the more useful applications you can make with one of these, especially the famed "organ sounds."

TIA.

18. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I'd be interested in hearing clips of the POG with bass if anyone's got them as well.

19. For me, weather my POG can make my bass sound like an organ, a zither, or a juice harp, does'nt matter one iota. The sub alone is good enough to justify the $300 price tag, regardless of whetever else it can do. A lot of the "other" sounds inside don't apply to bass anyway.

In another thread today, someone was asking about "thickening" their bass sound in a power trio during guitar solos.

The POG shines there like nobody's business. Just might be the POG's most useful application.

20. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    The suboctave aspect sounds interesting, but how much of a difference in low end can I expect vs. simply messing around with my eq on the low end? As it is, my speakers are getting overpowered in low end rumble if I start tweaking with the low end knob on my head, and that's keeping the 7 band eq flat.

Either way, I'd still like to hear clips and wish that the streaming audio stuff that most of the manufacturers offer were higher quality.