1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electro-Harmonix LED replacement

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ZanaZulu807, Jun 30, 2012.

1. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    Does anyone know the size of the LED's in Electro-Harmonix pedals? Sometime in the past day or two, the LED in my POG was either smashed or fell out some kind of way, I need to find the size and any other information on how to replace this pronto! Also, it would be great if I could get a different color other than the standard red, and the brighter the better!

2. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    Umm, bump?

3. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    This might seem obvious... but you *did* write to EHX as well, right?

I suspect the lack of response has to do with a lack of experience. If no one has replaced one of the LEDs through choice or necessity, or even just opened theirs up to trace circuits or whatever to the point where they recognized (or even *could* recognize something like that at a glance), then they won't have the answer for you.

I suggest asking EHX through email, and possibly also asking over at the forum where they regularly take expensive pedals apart without worry, Free Stomp Boxes.

Good luck!

4. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Oregon, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    I agree with sending an email to EHX (the same goes for any issue with a pedal, as long as you can get a hold of the manufacturer).

But, for info's sake, there are only two sizes of LED commonly used in pedals - 3mm and 5mm. (Some boutique builders use gigantor 8mm LEDs, but EHX does not.) In general, it looks to me like EHX uses 5mm LEDs for bypass indication, and 3mm ones for selecting modes on the digital pedals.

You can buy LEDs at pedal parts shops like Pedal Parts Plus, Small Bear, or general electronics places, including Radio Shack. That said, if you're not near a Radio Shack, ebay might make more sense for buying just one, so you don't pay $7 shipping for a $.30 part.

Taking apart -and successfully putting back together - a digital EHX pedal is not the easiest thing in the world. Be careful. :)

5. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    I have sent an email to EHX but in all likelihood I'll get a response maybe sometime tomorrow. I just figured there would be some folks here who have ripped apart these pedals and would know their guts inside and out. After some research the 5mm seems to be the correct size but I wanted to be absolutely certain before I went and bought it. I was also thinking of changing out the LED's of my other pedals if this works out for this one. Lately at some gigs I've been depending on the colors of the LED's and customizing them would help out immensely.

Thanks a bunch fellers! :bassist:

6. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    Assuming you're going to do what you assume others have done, that fearless attitude is sure to take you places.

Hopefully, those places are places you want to go.

Good luck!

7. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    Lol, certainly has worked out in far more insane situations, of course I did have a beer or seven to help build up my courage... :p

8. DannDubblewe

DannDubblewe Knob Wrangler

Apr 3, 2009
    TN
    THAT, good sir, is the truth. It can be prettttty menacing.