Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electro-Harmonix Synth Problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Funk Warts, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    Hey guys

I recently picked up an Electro-Harmonix Bass Micro Synth brand new and am having a bit of trouble with it. The unit works most of the time, but occasionally when you kick it on the effect doesn't come in properly. Instead i get a kind of low rumbling sound and after kicking it on and off a few times or just waiting the effect comes back.

I spoke to a guy I know who is a kind of amateur guitar tech and he reckons it sounds like either a faulty switch or a leaking capacitor (I think that's how it's spelt). As you can imagine, it's frustrating as when you kick an effect in you want to know it's gonna come on, especially in a gig.

Anyway, if anyone here has had a similar problem how did you sort it out? Do you think it's worth getting in touch with EHX? The unit is still brand new and under warranty but there are no dealers near me so it may involve international postage.

On the upside, when the unit does work it totally rips!!!!!

Cheers for any help

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  3. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    now that you mention it. I got a second hand on the bay and i have experienced the same situation. When i really hit hard the strings is when the effect kicks in(having the trigger all the way up). I thought it was part of the normal behaviour of the pedal, but now that you mention your problem i'm not that sure.

4. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    damned, I was planning to buy one!

5. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    Well, I e-mailed Electro Harmonix today, and I'll let you know what they say as soon as I hear.

And lowmid, don't let this problem put you off the pedal is absolutely fantastic, it is defintely one of those 'woah the bass player just did something' pedals - if you get what I mean... I love it, just a touch frustrating at the mo.

6. I have one, and have not had any problems. At what position do you have the sliders set? Have you adjusted the internal pot?

7. ... I have also had problems with this pedal.
    If I kicked on it nothing was heard, I returned it to where I bought it from and they fixed the problem for me.
    But now I still have problems with it.. maybe someone else does have the same and could tell me what to do.
    One thing is: If I put it in my effect chain normally it is so damn loud and I just can't fix that. Is there a overall volume? Is it the "Trigger" or the "rate" thing?? Now I use it with a splitter, one signal with the ehx bass synth to input 1 of my mesa, the other clean. That's quite satisfing.
    The other thing is: There is only one quite useful sound I can get from it. Most of the sounds that are suggested in the manual are not working at all for me. They sound like total crap with absolute poor tracking.

Maybe someone can give me some opinions on settings you use...

I don't know if it's the pedal or just me not really liking it.

thanks and greets.

8. [SD]

[SD]

Feb 24, 2004
    there is a trim pot underneath the pedal to set the gain of the pedal, which affects the volume and i would say the sensitivity of the trigger. I have mine set so if i hit hard the strings is when the effect kicks in, even though sometimes it won't kick in when wanted or it will when not wanted. It takes a little to learn to control it, assuming mine works fine.

9. Funk Warts

Funk Warts

Jun 13, 2001
    London, UK
    Well I've fiddled with the trim pot and I thought that had done it as it sounded fine, but after a couple of minutes same old problem came back. Electro-harmonix replied to my e-mail purely to say:

"Hello. The unit sounds like it may need repair but it would be impossible to tell for certain without having the unit here in front of us. You can contact Musik Elektronik. They are our overseas warranty center." These guys are based in Germany I took a look at their site to see how to go about sending it over and didn't understand it as I speak no German whatsoever. If anyone has used Musik Electronik before any advice would be awesome.

Anyways, I am gonna take it to a repair guy near me who reckons he may be able to have a go at it.

Needless to say, I am not impressed at having to have a brand new unit repaired nor at the fact EHX seem less than interested. Plus it cost £180 and took 2 months to arrive. Such a shame as it is a great effect when it works!

10. lowmid

lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    belgium
    in fact i'm trying to simplify my board because my mini q tron got overridden by my dynamic filter which is very cool So I don't use it that much and beside that I've got a muff wich is also not that much used , i've heard you can make the EHX mycro synth sound like a muff , like an eveloppe filter

So i'm clearly trying to sell my bsw, big muff and mini q tron to get one

11. I agree that it's very annoying and frustrating, but lets be fair to EHX. All they're doing is complying with their OS warranty contracts - if they take that job away from Musik Elektronik they would be in breach of their own contract.

Have you tried talking to the place where you bought it? Maybe they can exchange or arrange a replacement from their supplier.