1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

electro harmonix tubes for a ampeg svt 3-pro

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by gibsonbass76, Feb 21, 2008.

1. gibsonbass76

gibsonbass76

Aug 17, 2007
    I'm going to replace the tubes in my svt3-pro and can get electro harmonix tubes pretty cheap, are they good for a bass amp such as mine?

2. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    They are great tubes. I find 'em to be a little "cleaner" sounding than others meaning they gotta be pushed a little harder to get some nice sounding drive but many find that to be a plus.

3. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    I should probably replace my 3-Pro tubes too...

While we're on the subject, is it "safe" to overload the front end of that amp to get overdrive? In the past I've used an Electro-Harmonix line boost to hit the input section hard, and had the gain all the way up. I like the sound. Is it meant to do that?

4. hunta

hunta

Dec 2, 2004
    Washington, DC
    I bought a few different tubes to try out in my Eden WT-300 head (just takes 1 tube), and out of the JJ, groove tubes, and EHX, the EHX had the nicest sound in my opinion. But this will vary somewhat depending on your head and the sound you're going for. Best bet is to buy a few different types and compare for yourself.

5. When I had my SVT-3Pro several years back, I swapped out the stock tubes for Electro-Harmonix all around and the improvement in sound quality was marked. You really can't go wrong.

6. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    I would recommend JJ's/Eurotubes. They seem superior across the board and are generally cheaper too.