1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electro Harmonix White Finger Compressor

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mao, Nov 3, 2006.

1. mao

mao

Nov 3, 2006
    Hi to everybody,

After trying a MXR dynacomp I decided that I needed a compressor so I went out and bought a brand new EHX White Finger. Tried at home... and well an HELL of 'hiss' and 'hum' at very low gain too!!! :mad: I think it's due to the external power supply and poor shielding ... getting all the noises from everywhere.

I'm really really disappointed. Tomorrow I'll go to the shop to get someting else.

The question is: someone had the same experience?
    What else to choose among: MXR dynacomp, EBS Multicom and the BBE Opto stomp?

thanx in advance...

2. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    ive heard this too. i wonder why EHX's compressor's are so shotty. i love their other effects. why ehx why?

3. mao

mao

Nov 3, 2006
    ah ! so I'm not the "only one"... well ... what a great news...

So what's my next move?
    EBS Multicomp? MXR Dynacomp? BBE Opto Stomp?

(The shop hasn't Demeter nor Aphex...)

what I like more on the MXR was the "always right level" it outs, playing high or low notes, light or harder, on my Status Stealth bass.

Any suggestion ?

4. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    the EBS gets great reviews around here. i think you'll probably just end up having to order the demeter compulator. that usually takes the cake.

5. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I had the MXR and didnt really feel it was right for my setup, it was REALLY squashed and took out too much bottom end for my tastes. My guitarist loves it tho.

6. mao

mao

Nov 3, 2006
    Before buying the whitefinger I A/B compared it with the EBS multicomp. the whitefinger is more reactive, transparent, it doesn't cut high freq at all. So it seemed really the winner and probably it is. But... in the shop I haven't noticed any hum or hiss... so at home that susprise was really bad.
    I don't know if it's my unity giving the problem... but I'm a bit scared on buying the EBS after the A/B comparison and far more scared on replacing the whitefinger with a new one and find that is a common whitefinger problem.

7. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    I had the BBE Opto Stomp for a while and it was completely transparent. It worked perfectly and was very sturdy, but I ended up trading it anyway just because I really wanted a phase shifter and didn't have the money for it.

8. keeley compressor!! very nice, very warm, very smoooth!

9. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Hi mao,
    I bought a White Finger and sold it again for exactly the same reason. It was killer except for the unacceptable noise level. The power supply and shielding should not have been the problem; typically an external power supply will cause less noise than an internal one, and the pedal was in a steel housing. I blame cheap internal components and cheap workmanship.

Click the links in my sig for a wide range of compressor reviews, including my review of the White Finger and the EBS.