1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Electro-Voice ND 76 Mics?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by shoot-r, Nov 24, 2018.

1. shoot-r

shoot-r

May 26, 2007
    Illinois
    One of the guitar players in the band I'm with wants the rest of us to go from Shure 58 mics to EV ND76 mics.

Anyone tell me if this is a smart move or not and how so?

2. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Seems like a lateral move at best. Your trading a cardioid mic for another cardioid mic. The SM58 is an old standard. The EV cost less. The EV should put out a stronger signal. The EV should have stronger sibilance.

I can't currently download the ND76 data sheet but here's the frequency response plot and I'll upload the SM58 datasheet (attached) so you can compare.
    ND76.

Attached Files:

3. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011

Here's review I pulled from Musicians Friend that may be the source of the guitar player's opinion.

I was in a local music store in Dallas Texas and I ran into the EV rep and started a conversation. He asked me what mic I used in my band and I said the same mic most professional singers use - Shure SM58. He said, "how would you like to do a head-to-head comparison between the Shure SM58 and the EV ND76?", I said sure. We when over to the PA system he had setup. It had both mics (SM58 and ND76) in a mixer with all the channel settings the same. I sang a little diddy of "Mustang Sally" in the SM58 and it sounded great as always. Then, I sang the same little diddy in the EV ND76 and it was amazing how much better it sounded. The little nuances of the t's and s's and inflections in my voice were all there. I had to verify all the mixer settings were the same and held both mics and sang back-and-forth. It truly is a better mic. Then I asked if the ND76 was more expensive than the SM58 and he said it was about the same price. I left the music store that day wanting to eventually buy a EV ND76. When I got the email from Musician Friend with a discount code, I bought the EV ND76. EV should do a better job of advertising how good this mic really is.
    I would expect T's and S's to pop out better with the ND76 given the mic's frequency response, but this is not necessarily good or bad. It really depend on the qualities of each singer's voice whether the strong peak at 6kHz is an advantage. I've worked with many vocalist where sibilance was a huge problem; difficult to manage even with a good de-esser and parametric EQ. Cymbals also have a lot of energy in that general frequency range.

I do recommend that, if possible, all vocalist should use the same model of mic, as it makes it a lot easier to ring out feedback; especially when multiple singers share one monitor mix.

It wouldn't hurt to do an in-store audition. Maybe everyone will strongly prefer the ND76.

IMHO, if your SM58s are working well, it's probably a better investment to save up and buy a mic with a hypercardioid pattern.

s0c9 likes this.
  4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    What @Wasnex said :)

Wasnex likes this.
  5. jshinal

jshinal

May 28, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    It's a good sounding series of mikes. I think they offer a lot more clarity than SM58s. I disagree that everyone needs to use identical mikes. The Nd767/Nd76 series work well on people who are "head" singers in their higher notes, or who don't pronounce words real clearly. If a person already has a lot of clarity and articulation in their voice then they may not need to change.

I use an ND767 to clean up my background vocals, our drummer uses an unscreened SM57, and our female singer a Sennheiser 935 because her mike handling isn't that great. Mixing them on different mikes isn't difficult.

6. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Great comments!

The N/D 767 and ND76 are significantly different from one another. Check the frequency response and polar plots. In particular the N/D 767 is super cardioid and the ND76 is cardioid. Without an audition, I would be more excited to try out an N/D767 than an ND76.

Whether it's beneficial to run identical mics depends on how close to feedback the system is run. If you run the system on the edge, identical mics can make a significant difference in the level of gain before feedback that can be achieved. If you change from one model of mic to another and operate the system on the edge, you generally have to completely retune the system for feedback. If the system is tuned for SM58s and you throw a different mic into the mix, and you will be more likely to incur feedback.

That's not to say that selecting mics to suit the singers voice is not valid. I think it's extremely valid and appropriate, but you have to consider the potential ramifications of using a bunch of mismatched mics. If gain before feedback is a limiting factor, you limit the different models of mics in use and prioritize mic/voice matching to the most prominent singer.