Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BeyondFiredUp, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Hey gang, here's a question I'd like some opinions on: I'm getting two cabinets without speakers very likely in the near future.
    One is a 4x10 and the other is a 2x12.
    I'm trying to narrow down the choice of speaker brands to EMINENCE OR E-V.
    The EMINENCE 10's I'm considering are the LEGEND BP102, OR the LEGEND B102 (a "whizzer" cone design). Both are 8 ohm 200W.

The EMINENCE 12'S are the DELTA PRO 12A. 8ohm 400W.

The E-V 10's are the EVM DL10X 8ohm 300W.
    The E-V 12's are the EVM DL12X 8ohm 300W.

The cabs I'm considering are 7ply maple, bass cabs. Here's a couple of links to both.

I'll probably upgrade the tweeters and get the best jacks or SPEAKON JACKS if I decide to.
    Looking forward to some opinions and feedback. Thanks!
  2. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Always better to design the cab around the speakers, not to pick the speakers to fit an already-existing cab. Plug the t/s parameters for each speaker into WinISD and see which fits the cab better than the others.

My view, none of them will perfectly fit the cab . . . :(
  3. Is there a link in this site for that info? I'm not sure I'd know the details I'm looking for or how to make the determination of comparable cab diminsions or not...help. :help:
  4. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Cabs and drivers that are not precisely matched are a recipe for disaster. Eminence does give recommended cab dimensions for their drivers at their site. If you don't have a box program or don't know how to use one to figure out how to match cabs and drivers don't even think about a DIY loadout. BTW, the EV's are not good bass drivers, they have specs far better suited to guitar. The Delta Pro 12A isn't much better, the Delta 12LF is.
  5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Listen to these guys on this thread, they know what heck the they are talking about. The EV's will be a waste of $$ as well. A well designed system with cheap components will sound better than "guessing around' with off the shelf "name" stuff.
  6. rickycootee

Oct 24, 2001
    Statesboro GA
    why not just buy an avatar bass cab that has the deltas in them and they are in a cab designed to the speakers for probably as cheap as the empty cab your getting...

7. I agree!
    B212 with Delta Pro LF's
    $279 plus shipping
  8. msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I agree as well.

If you've already got your bare cabs ordered, you have some homework to do as to what the right driver will be, and downloading WinISD is the best place to start. Whatever it is, it'll almost certainly be made by Eminence.
  9. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. The Avatar cabs are an insanely good deal. Excellent eminence speakers and a well-matched quality cabinet for cheap. If you're dying for a DIY project, some of the people here have been replacing/upgrading the crossovers. Do a search for avatar crossover and you'll find it.
  10. Sounds like great advice. I'm glad I didn't order the cabs OR speakers. I'm definately gonna check AVATAR out. Sounds great!! Thanks to all who posted! :)
  11. I have 2 B115H Avatar cabs. Love them!
    Very well made. I could hardly build one and put speakers in it for what they sell for new. Wasn't worth the trouble so I bought them. Dave at Avatar provides excellent customer service. Very helpful! :hyper:
  12. rickycootee

Oct 24, 2001
    Statesboro GA
    yeah I have an avatar delta 4x10 slot port cab..its really well built for the price and it sounds really good with my precision or jazz..not to good on a 5 string..thats why I want a 2x12 haha
  13. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    Order the Avatar speaker cabinet and then for a DIY project remove the tweeter and fill the hole up with bondo. I did it to my Avatars when I had them and now I'm thinking about doing the same thing to all of my Eden cabinets. It only takes an afternoon and you won't believe how good your bass sounds without those stupid tweeters. ;)