Electronic music polluted my drummer!!!! no soul..

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by RicPlaya, Dec 26, 2003.

1. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    This is I guess an observation, at least mine. What do you guys think about this techno crap. As you can see I am not biased or anything..LOL. Well my drummer he just got back into drumming a year ago and he is having a little issue with tempo and feel. His main influences have been techno and rap. We have this debate going about it. I grew up listening to music that came out before I was born (old school rock), that's just the stuff I love. I think since I grew up with all those great influences it makes me a better musician, that's why I play both drums and bass well may I add. I feel techno and rap lacks soal. It is truely soaless music to me. The human element, touch, feel, emotion, has been zapped from the music in my opinion. My drummer says well but the music is created by a person, it has soal. But if the drums and bass are a computer, it's always the same volume, there are never any changes with tempo or volume, and its psychorepetitive to the point of I want to go into convulsion. He says well a lot of tracks are used from r&b and motown to create this music. That is true, so I learned how to mix for myself. And I created some techo groves. It was fun to make but, the nature of the music it made James Brown soalless, it sucked the soal right out of the song. The way you mix the song with the eq and stuff, and you blend two songs together. One track would be like your drum and bass track this is where you get the same beat for three days, the pattented boom tist, boom tist techo beat. So you have that going, and you blend in like a lead track could be anything. Well anyway my drummer has problems with touch, tempo and things like that. Things that come natural to everyone else in our band because I believe of our influences. He always plays fast stuff with no tempo change always the same volume. After hearing him play I said wow you play just like that life sucked soaless techno crap. Loud, no volume variation, no tempo changes, no touch, 4/4 timing. We went out and got some jazz CD'ds and I'm trying to give him a crash course in touch. He admitted to me maybe I was right about the music and his influences. I am just concerned with our youth today getting into this style of music more and more I hope we don't lose our musicains of tomorrow. A lot my disagree about my assessment of electronic music and how it's soalless. Does anyone else see this or feel this way? Or am I just a freak to think like this?
  2. I agree with you but I grew up listening to the music that was kewl already.

I have recorded many Hip Hop and Rap groups, I do it with real Drums and Bass so this gives it more soul IMHO.

BTW, it's SOUL, that's how it's spelled.

Get your drummer to practice with some good ole R&R, he'll get better.

All music has it's place, just sometimes we don't like it.

3. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    If your drummer already has perfect time, get him so albums with swinging drums and mold him.
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    You wont loose your musicians of tomorrow - there are many of us still on the rise and coming up. Well, ok, I listen to quite a bit of metal because of social and sentimental issues (eg i hate this society cause it cast me off, and tend to be pessimistic, taciturn and introvert,...), but i even listen to jazz and classical. And of course i hate techno and similar stuff. I think its primitive as well, no variation, no skills required, just plain ****
  5. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Quite a bit of hip-hop and electronic music involves live instrumentation. The terms "techno", or "electronica" are so inclusive, that it's far too much of a generalization to say they have no soul. Trip-hop is an offshoot of both hip-hop and electronica, and trip-hop groups like Portishead, Massive Attack, and Alpha are some of the most soulful groups around.

If you don't like the way your drummer plays, I think you should get a new drummer. I'm sure he'll have no trouble getting a new gig if he has metronomically precise time.
  6. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I disagree with your assessment, but I'll stop there because you're entitled to your own opinions. :spit: