Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Electronic Music

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Johnalex, Mar 1, 2003.

1. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    This has nothing to do with bass. I sometimes, especially lately, like to listen to different types of music. Right now I am really really liking the electronica genre(Aphex Twin, BT, Telefon Tel Aviv..ect.). I was wondering if any other bass players listen to electronica. If so what artists and why.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I love it.

squarepusher and aphex twin, add n to x, boards of canada, I love it a lot.

3. uh...i like D.E.P.'s version of aphex twin's "come to daddy":D
    my uncle made me a mix of trip-hop stuff a while back. chemical brothers, massive attack, enigma...good stuff. i like it; but i don't know what any of the tracks are. he wrote down what some of the artists are, but not for which track :(
    meh.

4. Electronica, like any genre, has its good and its bad. The thing is, the bad sucks horribly, but the good is incredible.

I love Daft Punk, Chemical Brothers, Massive Attack and DJ Micro.

5. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    yeah that Come to Daddy by Aphex Twin is awesome. Check out Bucephalus Bouncing Ball by Aphex Twin..it is incredible. I am also really into The Crystal Method. There vegas album was bonkers.

6. The music video used to give me nightmares (used too).

7. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    "Windowlicker" ,"on" and "nanou" by richard d james are brilliant.

8. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    HEh...RIchard James ;) trying to trick people?

9. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I think electronic music can be very cool. But a lot of the stuff by Aphex Twin and Squarepusher just gives me a headache, it just sounds like..I don't know..Are they trying to make people dizzy or something like that?

10. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    yeah some is like that. A not so "wierd" group is THe Crystal MEthod. They seem to be straight up Synth with some great colaborations with poeple like Tom Morello.

11. As far as electronica goes, I used to listen to the good ol hardcore/darkcore techno stuff like LA Style, Joey Beltram, and Prodigy. The "current" trance doesn't float my boat as much. Too soft and light sounding, though "classics" such as "Children" by Robert Miles, and some Digweed do end up on my mp3 playlists from time to time. I also like dub and drum n' bass.

But the one form of electronic music that always sticks with me and I'll never get tired of is hip hop DJ mixing or "skratch." From the more traditional hip hop sounding battle DJs to the more avant garde DJ Krush to the former members of Invisibl Skratch Piklz.